My Spitfire factory

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
After my attempts to get to grips with the new Airfix PR XIX and Seafire IIb, I have started my collection of 1/72 Spits with this trio:

IMG_1214.jpg

Got myself a stash of kits and decals to choose from (probably enough to get me through the next 18 months if I'm honest!), also some source/reference material, including the two-volume Modellers' Datafile by Robert Humphreys, which is great if a little hardcore (his mm-by-mm analysis of all the Spit kits out there is extraordinary) so off I go. Who knows, maybe my modelling skills might improve aliong the way :lol:

Well, I thought no collection of Spitfires can be considered complete without a classic Battle of Britain Spitfire, so that's where I went next:

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

It's the Airfix Mk. I kit with Techmod decals. The decals I chose were actually for a Mk. IIb, which I was under the impression was the same as a Mk. I except for the engine, then halfway through I learned that the IIb has a couple of cannon (have yet to learn to do my research:rolleyes:), and with a cannon comes a wing blister. I cobbled both together from spares left over from the Seafire (which is actually the Airfix Vb kit) and they're probably the wrong size, or shape, or both, but anyway they give the impression of a IIb.

The decals look great but I have to say came apart for fun, which was a challenge, also I had some silvering on some of the stencils - normally I put a fairly thick glassy layer of gloss varnish down before putting on decals but this time I just used a coat of Klear which didn't seem to work as well.

Overall, probably no better or worse than anything else I've done, bit schlonky in places, and I am becoming more aware of obvious brush lines (will probably get an airbrush sooner or later). Just can't seem to get that canopy join right. Anyway, it's all experience!

Nice to see a machine used by Polish 303 Squadron..Looking very nice.:D

Attachments

• Spitfire MkII_RF_A_impregnable_1941.jpg
    Spitfire MkII_RF_A_impregnable_1941.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
This is weird... I just added the photo of "Ox" and I noticed an extra marking just forward of Pluto... it's like a little plane taking off. the decal for this is actually on the sheet but isn't referred to in the instructions for placing the decals. Will have to be a "late addition".

That's the fellah.. Spit and Polish :lol:

This was the personal 'plane of P/O Mirosław "Ox" Ferić of 303 Sqn. based RAF Northolt. He was Poland's 11th top scoring ace with eight and two-thirds kills, plus one probable. Sadly died in a crash durng a training flight in February 1942.

Miros?aw Feri? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

impregnable.jpg

If a pilot flies an aircraft more than twice then it's his personal aircraft. Perhaps the terms usually flown or frequently used would better in this case. Four 303 pilots scored victories with this Spitfire.

Ferić 22 June 1941 Me 109 destroyed, Szagowski 23rd June Me 109 probably destroyed, Arentowicz 25th June Me 109 damaged, and Zumbach 2nd July Me 109 destroyed and another Me 109 probably destroyed.

And that is not Ferić in the photograph. See attached. Notice something is missing?

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    889.7 KB · Views: 97
If a pilot flies an aircraft more than twice then it's his personal aircraft. Perhaps the terms usually flown or frequently used would better in this case. Four 303 pilots scored victories with this Spitfire.

Ferić 22 June 1941 Me 109 destroyed, Szagowski 23rd June Me 109 probably destroyed, Arentowicz 25th June Me 109 damaged, and Zumbach 2nd July Me 109 destroyed and another Me 109 probably destroyed.

And that is not Ferić in the photograph. See attached. Notice something is missing?

Blimey, this is going to be something of an education, I can tell! :shock:

The little plane is missing on the uppermost pic? (Er, as well as a couple of dirty great cannons?) [edit: actually just one of the cannon..?]

So that's Klosin in my photograph?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm so this plane flew around with only one cannon? The fact that the little plane is present on one photo but not on the other suggetss the two pics were taken at different times. I could lop one cannon off the model but it would just look a bit daft!

I don't think so it flew without one of the cannons. I think the cannon was taken out for techincal maintenance or reparation simply. A few pieces of its mounting seem to be laying on the top of the wing.

Yeah I see that... also I can see the little plane on the uppermost pic now, it's above the pilots's hat. I think these pics were taken at the same time, as well as the stuff on the wing the background is indentical.

Also I've realised that this isn't a BoB Spit after all, 303 were flying Hurricanes at that time and took on Spits in 41/42. I was reading about the heroic contribution by the Polish squadrons to the air war, fascinating stuff I also came across this, which is tragic and funny at the same time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lish-Spitfire-in-anti-immigration-poster.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spifire hasn't moved in the two photographs, just taken from a slightly different position. The wheels are exactly the same and there are some panels on the grass that are laying in the same position. The shadow hasn't moved so they must have been taken very close together or at the same time of day. The interval was long enough for a picnic to either have arrived or left. Probably a case of you take a photo of me and I'll take one of you or someone taking photos of his pals.

P8385 was purchased with funds donated by management and staff of the John White (Impregnable Shoes Ltd) boot and shoe manufacturers of Rusden and Higham Ferrers through the Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph Fund. They insisted it go to a Polish squadron. TOC 12 MU Kirkbride 27/04/41 and allocated to 303 Squadron at Northolt. On 3rd July the squadron moved to Speke leaving behind its aircraft for 306 Squadron. On 19th August went for repair to Heston Aircraft, returning to 306 Squadron the following day. 15th September joined 65 Squadron at Kirton-in-Lindsey. Exchanged aircraft with 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron 6th October. 18th August (sic) transferred to 133E) Squadron at Eglinton. The squadron moved to mainland, P8385 stayed behind to join 134 Squadron on 31st December. 8th January 1942 taken to Short and Harland and Belfast to be repaired then to 12 MU 31st August to be allocated to the AFDU Duxford 8th November. Starboard wheel collapsed while landing in a cross-wing 28th November. ROS by 18th December. 28th January 1943 Plt. Off Socha ran out of fuel and force landed, incurring injury, aircraft damaged Cat B. Returned to AFDU 12th February, Flg Off C.H.Lattimer hit a van roof while taxiing 31st August. Initially classed Cat E, was changed to Cat B and repaired in works to await collection 4 December. Delivered to 33 MU Lyneham 11th January 1944 allocated 61 OUT Rednal 26th March. Retired to 45 MU Kinloss 11th September. SOC 23rd November 1944.

On the left Zumbach, on the right Ferić.

Pdf the crash.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 204
  • scan0003.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 423
Also I've realised that this isn't a BoB Spit after all, 303 were flying Hurricanes at that time and took on Spits in 41/42. I was reading about the heroic contribution by the Polish squadrons to the air war, fascinating stuff I also came across this, which is tragic and funny at the same time:

That's true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back