Myth Busters Duct Tape plane test

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
a while back there were pics on the web of a bush plane in alaska that was mauled by a hungry bear and shreaded to pieces. the pilot had someone drop him in a roll of heavy plastic and a crap load of duct tape. with those he re-skinned the aircraft and flew her home. this wed, oct 19 the myth busters on the Discovery channel will shread a b-lite kitfox and recreate the senario to see if it is fact or fiction. should be interesting...

You mean this one?

Attachments

• bear dam.jpg
    bear dam.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 229
  • bear fix.jpg
    bear fix.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 224
Why wouldn't it work they called duct tape 500mph hour tape when they used it to seal certain leaky panels on the 101

Looks like if you have enough time, an understanding of aircraft structure and enough duct tape, it would work. Glad he took some pics to back up his story.

Was this Red Green?

No way you would have gotten me in that plane! I'm guessing without counter-weighting, the CG must have been moved dangerously to the rear assuming duct tape is heavier then doped fabric or whatever they use. Also I can't help but notice that under all that tape the top right stringer (welded tube) is NOT connected to the tail anymore. Scary stuff, but I guess he was counting on the semi-mono. aspect of the tape and the damaged metal frame.

Oh and by the way, does anybody have Kari Byron's number?

That's a Super Cub. Even with the heavier duct tape I doubt the weight and balance was affected at all as the normal C/G is way forward. Unless there was any structrual damage to the tubing, I don't see a major problem with this however the local Feds might have had issues, although with this happeneing in Alaska, there's a different mindset from the FAA there.

I would not fly the aircraft with a passenger however, one ferry flight and its grounded provided you make it! :eeeeek:

We had a thread on this plane a few years ago...the guy even went as far as to write the N number on the side with a felt-tip marker...

His plan was to get the aircraft out of that remote area and back home so it could be properly repaired. He had supplies (like the aforementioned duct tape and plastic) flown in and if I remember right, a new tire to replace the one the bear tore up.

Aparently, he made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back