Nakajima Ki-27

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sagittario64

Airman 1st Class
Nov 21, 2011
Michigan
Ive heard some rumors going on around the internet that manchuko air force (or thai air force, im not sure which one) ki-27s tangled with us and allied p-51s several times. there is a part where the enemy claimes around 10 or so, and is rumored to have confirmed at least one victory over the p-51w with their ki-27s. is there any truth in these rumors at all? i mean i know if youre not so good a pilot that you may be more vulnerable to the runner up types, but a modern p-51 falling to the spatted undercarriage ki-27? it only has two machine guns, and probably the pilots flying them didnt have the training of the japanese, let alone their allied opponents. it sort of confounds me when i hear stories like these. can anyone tell me if this one is true?
68zui8.jpg

jayucn.jpg

From Wiki

"The Ki-27 was also exported for use with Manchukuo and Thai armed forces, seeing combat with both. In Thai service, Ki-27s reportedly damaged two P-51 Mustangs and shot down one P-38 Lightning. Near the end of World War II, a few Ki-27s were equipped with up to 500 kg (1,100 lb) of explosives for a kamikaze role"

Oh well that clears one thing up and fogs up another. must have been quite an encounter between them and that p-38. i also think japan could have done a better job with her exports. ki-27s in 1944? please. germany exported the latest 109s to all her allies at one time or another, including japan. thanks flyboy

That whole region was a logistical mess though. Ki-27s didn't get to Thailand from Japan per se, they got there via a routé moving through two independent territories charging duties, hanging onto a couple of them, dollars/yen are kicking about between here and there. If you think the US-Russia lend lease records at the receiving end are a mess, wait 'til you see Japanese exports. Really more like surplus units being shoveled around airfields until some deal is made for them via the back channels. I believe the politically correct term of the time was that Japanese HQ liked junior officers to take initiative.

Really? Hmmm i wonder then how the thai and manchukuo got their hands on a few Ki-43s and Ki-44s then. must have been like Ki-43-Is and early model Ki-44s

Just saying in 44 the premier Japanese army air fighter was the Ki-84 and they sure knew it. Even by late 42 they knew the Ki-44 was on the books and the Ki-61 and Ki-43-II (with the armouring) were in full production. Mostly that all got cufuffled by the top brass, but sure Manchukuo was an army proving ground, they sent their limited-series service evaluation prototypes there. But Thailand was way down on the list and to get there by trade you have to go through at least two Warlord regions, and each was like the Yellow River Valley or Kuomintang all by themselves, they just had old 20s hardware.

IJA units stationed in Manchuria, China and Indochina had supporting air units. After 1942 most of the newer equipment probably went to the Pacific war. So IJA units on the Asian mainland soldiered on with older equipment right up to late 1945. By 1945 they probably had a lot of worn out motor vehicles, machineguns and howitzers in addition to worn out Ki-27 fighter aircraft.

I know Ki-27s are listed on as late as 1942, but 1945? hmmm thats almost as bad as the italians still using Fiat CR.32s in 1941

Well, they could beg for some Ki-43s at least. but youre probably right. heck, the japanese self defence air force might still have some Ki-27s in their reserves today :p

all im saying is somewhere in a military warehouse in some part of asia, theres a ki-27 and its listed as reserve status. lol just kidding :p

I heard the Ki-27 was very popular among pilots because he had excellent turning performance which was superior to Ki-43.
The landing gears were also sturdy. He was able to land/take-off even on the bumpy grounds. When a Ki-27 was crash-landed
in Nomonhan, the pilot was immediately rescued by his friend flying other Ki-27.

Many Kamikaze pilots were said survived from the Ki-27s as the bomb was too heavy to fly long range.

PS: A friend of mine is holding a real Ki-27 in Kyusyu as you may know.
Also, a Russian aviation organization in Moscow is holding a set of Ki-27 airframe captured in Nomonhan.

Last edited:
yes i understand the advantages of fixed undercarriages as well, noting the Fokker D.XXI, Fiat CR.42, Gloster Gladiator, certain Hawk 75 variants, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back