National or International Veterans Organizations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I am one of the "Tweener" vets that are not eligible for the American Legion. Are there any other national or international groups around for people in my time frame that have been left out in the cold by the Legion? I would prefer an organization that recognizes and opens it's door to ALL veterans.

I am not eligible for the legion because of the time I served. I happen to fall into one of the time frames that are not eligible. My time was Sep of 84 to Sep of 88.

These are their eligibility requirements:
If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion.

* April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
* Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
* June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
* Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
* Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
* Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
* Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)

I haven't heard of any, unfortunately. I was actually quite surprised that my service fell within the timeframe ('92-'98), since Desert Storm ended while I was in bootcamp and the scuffles between North and South Korea, and China/Taiwan in ....'96 (I think) never came to a shooting match involving the US. I think there SHOULD be a general "We Served" group, though. "The price of peace is eternal vigilance."

Yeah, I have never understood the Legion's eligibility. I was on the communications support team for the Libya Raid in addition to doing a bunch of other things, some official, some "not" and I am ineligible. My step brother was in a ship that sat in drydock for the whole Gulf War and never fired a shot or went into bad guy land, and he is eligible.

That is weird, I always thought that any former service member could join the American Legion. I thought it was the VFW that had the stipulations about having served during different times.

I myself am a member of the American Legion and the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars).

I will ask some of the people I know from the Legion and VFW if they know of any other organizations for you Eric.

sounds bogus to me during some of the periods there were guys sitting 24/7 on alert waiting for the ICBMs to arrive but that doesn't seem to count.p here if you served in the military you can join the Legion

That makes a lot more sense to me, pb. Unfortunately, that has been something I have groused about for a while, even sending a letter to the national commander.

They say I can join the "Sons of the Legion", which is an auxiliary for people whose fathers and/or grandfathers served. Gee, thanks for making me feel like persona non grata as a vet, American Legion...

Yeah, sometimes I think I served at the wrong time. We didn't get a GI bill, just this marginal program called VEAP. And because the Legion doesn't allow me in, I don't have any advocacy for any veteran related issues with the kind of voice and numbers that the Legion has.

I am thinking my only course is the Air Force Association (AFA), unfortunately, there aren't any local chapter that are within an hour from me. The Cold War Veteran's Association seems like a possibility, but I don't see anything on their website about where they are, etc. Is anyone here a member of the CWVA?

I do not belong to the VFW or the American Legion. Just was never interested. However, I just recently joined the
Fleet Reserve Ass'n. I was always under the impression that the FRA was like the Moose Club, where every member
had his own stool at the bar. Was quite surprised that the FRA, here, does not have a bar. It's a gathering place
for members of the sea-connected services.... USN, USCG and USMC.

Charles

When I got back "to the World" crazy as a loon I thought that my brothers-in-arms would be the ones to understand. Went to both the Legion and VFW and was told basically to get out. They didn't want any crazy, druggie, Vietnam vets not to mention we "hadn't been in a REAL war" in any case. And Evan, there was also no G.I. Bill for Vietnam either as I soon found out. Yea, the Boys on the Hill EVENTUALLY got around to it but Heck no rush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back