Need advise. Want to build a Spanish Civil War I16 russian bomber. Which kit to buy?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would suggest visiting the nearest local hobby shop there.

Berkeley?????????????????????????? I used to live on Berryman, off Grove.

There used to be a huge hobby shop in Fremont.

Have you been to Top Dog, near Sather Gate at UCB????? Ooooo, order one Hot, and one Bock, even just for me.... plain mustard on the Hot, it's a Louisiana hot sausage, Hot mustard on the Bock, it's bochwurst.

My son lives in Alameda and now takes His kids there. I miss Berkeley, lots!

*** just went online and found these. Call them first, see what they've got. Berkeley and Oakland used to have many when I was a kid. That was 60 years ago!

https://plus.google.com/104029422464058520549/about?gl=au&hl=en San Carlos
Sheldon's Hobbies San Jose
Aircraft San Francisco
hobby model supplies near oakland, ca - Company.com look at this list as well

Last edited:
I got the Academy kit. I bought paint a knife, 2 brushes and glue. Anything else you think I need?
I will check that place you recommend it.

Some of fine sand paper can be useful ( grit 900-2000). Also a putty. I would recommend the Tamiya White one. Additionally you may buy some of Tamiya masking tape. This can come in handy too.

sandpaper.jpg

sandpaper_5493.jpg

3m-sandpaper-2000-car-sandpaper-2000-water-sandpaper-single-loaded.jpg

ltamr8795.jpg

9bf1db2ddaf535f1c1cb52552d409687.jpg

3475304373_f3167861d0.jpg

Tamiya10mmTape.jpg

TA87030-2.jpg

Last edited:
So I am almost done with the fuselage and wings. Now I need to paint the plane, my question is how do you put those decal on. And do I paint the whole plane and leave where the decals unpainted?
Thanks

No you don't. Usually the camo scheme is done overall. Then apply a clear gloss coat overall. Decals need "smooth" surface for better sticking and avoiding of an effect called silvering. The fianal step is to apply the clear matt coat overall. Of course if the plane was of gloss finish the final coat has to be the gloss one.

How many coats did you use? Kinda looks like one. If it was, put another one on tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's the same with acrylics as with enamels but this is something I read quite a while ago..After you apply the first coat, wait an hour to apply the second coat. If you have to wait for the second coat, wait for at least 24 hrs. There is a chemical reaction in the drying process called gassing and this might affect the second coat. Don't give up hope. I've made probably 50+ models and I learn something every time I build one and this forum is the best place to gain knowledge. Also, the model below your model looks pretty hot.

Geo

I agree with Geo. Looking good. But you need to apply the second coat. And another tip for taking pictures of models.. use a background of self-coloured. Using magazines isn't a good idea.

It seems like this one is not going as it should. Can anyone let me know where could I buy or get this Academy Spanish Civil War version? I was going to give it to my nephew. Any ideas? If any one of you wants to make it, I would buy it from you? Any ideas or takeres on the offer?

If you encounter any difficulties during your builds, post them here. Chances are, someone has built what you are building and will tell you how they fixed it or you will get possible solutions from others on how you may best approach your problem. Above all don't be afraid to ask for help.

Geo

EDIT Forgot to mention, start a thread in the Start to Finish build section. Don't get discouraged. You should see some of the nightmares I've dealt with this year.

Last edited:
I will finish my build, but I really want to get a nice example of this plane to give as a gift. Can someone tell me where could I get one?
It needs to be the Spanish Republic example.
Thanks in advance

Nothing on eBay. Maybe put a request here Your Completed Kits to see if someone is willing to part with a built model or put out the request to one of theses sites...
MODELING MADNESS: The Finest Review Site on the Web
ARC Air - An Online Magazine Devoted to Scale Aircraft Modelling
HyperScale - An Online Magazine for Aircraft and Armour Modellers
Britmodeller.com - Modelling with a British Flavour

Shipping a built model may be an issue as might be the shipping costs.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back