Need help finding P-40 FX567, 450 Sqn OK*_ code please.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Bill

Must you have FX567?

DM Davidson flew a number of p-40s during his time with 450 Squadron.

As an example the ORB shows that he flew all of the following on ops in March 1944

FT944
FT943
FX546 - on 4 ops
FT948
FX557 - on 3 ops
FT946

Here's a pic of FT943 which Davidson flew on a mission 3/3/1944.

Not to Monte Cassino though - attacked an ammo dump near Rome - but a bit more research may find another suitable subject.

You can find the ORB on the National Archives website.
(two photos from AWM, plus one from ADF serials site)

HTH

Peter

Attachments

• MEC1349.jpg
    MEC1349.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 149
  • MEC1348.jpg
    MEC1348.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 151
  • MEC1349-2.jpg
    MEC1349-2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
This one? P 40 Kittyhawk FR112, P/O D. M. Davidson.....

450 Squadron Operations Record Book
Friday, April 23, 1943

Only one operation was made today. At 07:00 hours, 12 Kittyhawk III fighters were airborne as top cover to 112 Squadron, RAF and 3 Squadron, RAAF, on an interception of enemy aircraft in the Cape Bon area. The formation patrolled the area, but no enemy aircraft were sighted. Just after turning for home, Aus. 403364 F/O R V KIERATH reported over the R/T that he was going to force land. Shortly after, he was seen to bale out, and was last seen drifting down in his parachute at Map Reference K.9180, Tunis Sheet, 1/500,000.
On the way home, Aus. 409624 Sgt WILSON R E successfully force landed with wheels down in a barley crop, near the New Zealand camp at P.3719. No damage was done to the aircraft and Sgt Wilson is uninjured. The remaining aircraft landed at 09:00 hours. F/O KIERATH has been reported as missing believed Prisoner of War. It is known that the enemy Sea Rescue launch went out to the area where he was last seen. Our sea rescue launch also went out, but did not locate him. Evidently he was picked up before ours got there. Sgt Wilson returned to the Squadron at 11:30 hours.
The weather today was very dull and overcast.

Interception
12 fighter a/c as top cover to 112 Squadron leading, with 3 Squadron medium, on interception of a/c in Cape Bon area. Airborne 0700-0900, led by P/O Gregory. Went out along coast, crossing peninsula at K.6820, climbing to 10,000' to Gulf of Tunis. Observed:- One large ship stationary, at K.2857; Spitfire force landed on beach at K.8056 (letter ASN); 1 pranged 109 at K.7649 and 2 pranged 109s at K.7545. A/A - intense heavy from Soliman along road to K.4263, accurate heavy and Brada from Harramet. When on return journey, in K.8709, F/O Kierath called up and reported that he was going to force land; seen to bale out and drift out to sea; last seen at K.9180. Pilots carried out a search in this area, but were unable to locate pilot or parachute. Sgt Wilson landed with NZ troops at P3179 (a/c undamaged). Weather fine, visibility good over gulf, poor in Cape Bon area.

Kittyhawk FR480 F/S Chittenden, W J
Kittyhawk FR484 F/O Jowett, R A C
Kittyhawk FR438 W/O Youl, S C,
Kittyhawk FR459 F/S Downay, G P
Kittyhawk FR417 F/S Marrows, K
Kittyhawk FR491 F/O Mackay, W J A
Kittyhawk FR356 Sgt Sanders, F C
Kittyhawk FR311 Sgt Wilson, R E
Kittyhawk FR135 P/O Gregory, A H
Kittyhawk FR477 F/O Kierath, R V
Kittyhawk FR479 F/S Minchin, D G
Kittyhawk FR112 P/O Davidson, D M

Hi Bill

A guy at TOCH says he has the info you're looking for. I sent him a PM with my e-mail. He'd be interested in talking to you about any pics you might have. If you PM me your e-mail address I can get this info to you as soon as I get it.

Holey cats! Didn't expect all this. But I do find it fascinating everything that Can be found if we look long enough.

Dr duly digested and working on all the above.
Geo, I had seen other given name initials different from DM, but couldn't find any reference for them. Good-on-yah. Another folder in my list.
Jan, I don't think I have that daily op report, thanks for taking the time to look.
Andy, PM duly sent.

Now to go back to all the photos I have and try and find a serial with code......
May fall asleep doing it tho, my head is a little heavy with me drugs......
I sailor on.

***In comparing and looking thru my files, MkIII and MkIV's were oufitted to 450 Sqn.
All the FT and FX serial AC were MkIV's
FR's were P-40K-1 MkIII Kittyhawks.
So now I know type if I can find a pic of FR112 with a code.
Or any of the others for that matter.

Last edited:
***In comparing and looking thru my files, MkIII and MkIV's were oufitted to 450 Sqn.
All the FT and FX serial AC were MkIV's
FR's were P-40K-1 MkIII Kittyhawks.

Generally you are right Bill. In Kagero Monography for P-40 vol.III I found a list of serials of the RAF Kittyhawks. Most of them was of P-40K Kittyhawk III type. But FR779-FR872 ( 94 planes ) , FS100-FS269 ( 100 planes ) were P-40M Kittyhawk Mk.IIIs.
The P-40N Kittyhawk Mk.IV starts with FT849-FT954 ( 106 planes ). Then FX498-FX954 ( 350 planes ) and FS270-FS399 ( 130 planes)

Got your answer Bill. Looks like she would have been OK-X at the time of your mission, then switched to OK-D in April '44. This from Doug Norrie at TOCH:

"Hi Crimea River
The code letters for Mark IV, P-40N-5-CU, FX567, were as follows:
OK-X from 3/2/44 to 18/3/44 (Engine repairs)
OK-D from 3/4/44 to 16/4/44 (Forced landed due to u/c problems. Cat II damage)

I would also be interested in your contact please if I contact Buz for info.
Doug"

These guys seem to be interested in talking to you about any pics you might have. OK to pass on your email then?

"D" it shall be, for Davidson of course................
And do shoot off my email to him please.

Your efforts are appreciated. Many thanks.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back