New Me262 roll-out (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich said:
Flyboy:

JG 7 never had trainers. I'm into the historical accuracy bit and have since 1963. Very bad call on the original Seattle firm for this major goof up. The single seater as I said is in bogus camo.

‰

I know what you mean, if you go this far to make a flying Me-262 replica, at least make it accurate! I thought you might of been speaking operationally; a single seat over a trainer. With these aircraft as an owner its probably advantageous to own the 2 seat version, at $300 - $500 for an ME-262 "Jet Orientation Ride" owning one of these could be a profitable business, but again, I would want mine painted historically accurate..

A STORY: When I lived in Palmdale, CA there is a small outdoor museum called "Blackbird Park," a tribute to the SR-71 which was flown out of Lockheed's facility located right down the road form this museum. The first two aircraft they got was a retired SR-71 and the single seat sister, the A-12. When the folks at the museum painted them, they got the paint schemes backwards, the SR-71 was painted up like a CIA spy plane, and the A-12 was painted black with "stars and bars." Everytime I drove by it would make me ill!

Quoted from the Stormbirds website:

Nose colors and other temporary markings have been applied for ease of identification only, and have no bearing upon the final marking schemes planned for any of these aircraft.

If they're not repainted by the builders the eventual owners will do so, in all probability. So all the histor-accuracy weenies can stop bitching and moaning...

And before anyone's panties get all bunched up, I'm as critical of warbird paint schemes as one can be. (Ie: I'm a histor-accuracy weenie myself) But I'm also just plain happy to see these things coming together. They could paint 'em pink with purple polka dots and I really couldn't give a rat's ass... they're here, they're airworthy and that's what really matters.

Okay, maybe the pink with purple polka dots thing is going a bit far...
devil-smiley-102.gif

Fade to Black...

Alright, if not pink, how about bright green with a yellow tail...and oh, oh....pink nose. :-k

plan_D said:
Alright, if not pink, how about bright green with a yellow tail...and oh, oh....pink nose. :-k

Make the nose look like male genitalia, so that gunfire eminates from the crown :lol:

And how about that Hippy DC-3 that was posted here a while back? ;)

I went to see the Stormbirds hangar at Everett, Washington, and the first bird was only slightly damaged. There are no Me-262 langing gears available, so they cut down the main gear from a Grumman S2F and used that. The uplock worked, but not under side load.

The landing gear is a critical item since it cycles so slowly ... as the original units did. They aren't trying to make "Super Me-262s," but rather 100% replicas, so the landing gear cycle speed is identical to the original.

These people are professionals and are both talented and dedicated. Their 2-seater is no joke; it flies and has been delivered to the owner. Messerschmitt thought enough of their effors to award them six new sequential RLM numbers for their airframes, and bought one from them to the Germans.

You should check it out before criticizing ... I mean go to Seattle and look it over. It's worth the trip and these aircraft are built to the drawings, not to any "new" standards.

Their airspeed is limited to 500 mph. The newer engines will drive it much faster but, if you go there, you are a test pilot flying an airfoil that was designed when planes that got too fast dived into the ground without possible recovery.

A really neat endeavor.

actually I would be asking around if the craft has any fuel and then pry the canopy open........... Viktor, viktor 8)

and no it's not me, scary pic though // my hair is longer anyway :D

one can never have enough toyz ............. :D

wow tough decision. my problem is opening up my backyard, taking out the block of homes an re-seeding the open area with turf..........give me 6 months and I should be action

well I have plenty of tarps so that should keep the wacky law enforcement helicopters away 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back