Nice CGI from IJN perspective

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's another nod to the RAF linies that they could take an aircraft out of a box like an IKEA shelf and quickly knock it together.

View attachment 594193

View attachment 594194

IMO, the only thing wrong with the Buffalo was there weren't enough of them. Five squadrons of sixty active aircaft to patrol and defend a territory larger than the entire UK is untenable. Give Malaya Command sixty Spitfires or Meteor F3s and they're still doomed. But give them 400 Buffalos...

True on both parts, but Buffs' were hardly the only ones to come in a box, over at Zeno's there's a DVD for the Thunderbolt:
"Uncrating and Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt (40:00)This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 in a field using nothing more than muscle, unpowered hand tools, and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps! You'll also get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is literally bolted together by field personnel. A must see for P-47 fans and shade tree mechanics alike!* "

I've seen the video, it's really amazing how they take P-47 out of some BIG crates and assemble a fully functional fighter is impressive.

True on both parts, but Buffs' were hardly the only ones to come in a box, over at Zeno's there's a DVD for the Thunderbolt:
"Uncrating and Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt (40:00)This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 in a field using nothing more than muscle, unpowered hand tools, and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps! You'll also get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is literally bolted together by field personnel. A must see for P-47 fans and shade tree mechanics alike!* "

I've seen the video, it's really amazing how they take P-47 out of some BIG crates and assemble a fully functional fighter is impressive.
It's smart to make your aircraft capable of being knocked down and reassembled in the field. Japan's main fighters, the A6M, Ki-43 and Ki-44 had mono-spar or monolithic wings, meaning the wing cannot be removed in parts for later reassembly in the field, as shown on the A6M Zero being restored below. The wing is one big piece from tip to tip. The only three ways to get your Zeros and Oscars to forward bases is to fly them there, find a freighter with wide open decks, or use an aircraft carrier as a ferry, as was done with the Hiyo class of light fleets after Midway.

rJabydGvOcvvowpjxbPd8W-4rsz0Q4exWwVvXZJVpztviVegXoLe500pv3lv7b9CTPq2xNKqwXwaVldrWDQ5HOvERSXvxfTQ.jpg

Legend Flyers Zero – Restoration Update

Here's a Hawker Hurricane coming out of its crate. One can imagine only a couple of hours needed to bolt on the wings, rudder and prop, top up the fluids and ammunition.

D7K4EZiOFn0qsFPyov-BHBxGI9_lzjCQVtfdp03YQF7BxCaEphP_ndO_Vqn2A5uuBKN0fmjWVS663ymwoTLH-MEyFLxD_SKg.jpg

If only the below was the scene at Singapore in late summer 1941.

takoradi-1-w800.jpg

I imagine the wood used on those crates was repurposed and is probably framed in some Ghanaian houses today.

Last edited:
meaning the wing cannot be removed in parts for later reassembly in the field, as shown on the A6M Zero being restored below.

The Zero could be split at the rear fuselage just aft of the canopy and with the wing tips being folded and engine removed could easily be transported within a compact space. It was designed precisely for ease of transport.

The split can be seen running from the after end of the canopy to forward of the lower retractable step.

50179849146_5ee229ae93_b.jpg
Detail fuselage centre section

Two glaring errors?
At least two. Totally spaced out on U.S.S. Saratoga. I got caught up in the discussion and mentioned build flaws in HIJMS Shokaku. When did I become a naval architect? Got caught up in the discussion. Worst of all, I didn't write "IIRC" after stating HIJMS Shoho was hit by 5 torpedoes. A most grievous mistake for this forum. Finally, dumb joke about Attu.

At least two. Totally spaced out on U.S.S. Saratoga. I got caught up in the discussion and mentioned build flaws in HIJMS Shokaku. When did I become a naval architect? Got caught up in the discussion. Worst of all, I didn't write "IIRC" after stating HIJMS Shoho was hit by 5 torpedoes. A most grievous mistake for this forum. Finally, dumb joke about Attu.
I doubt the term "glaring" is appropriate here, "minor" is more in line with what you're describing, possibly even "unnoticeable".

You want glaring? I went to renew my drivers license this morning, and the way the questions were worded I almost admitted to being:

A). A convicted felon
B). Have been judged mentally incapable (OK, they might have a case for that one, just ask around here)
C). Addicted to hard narcotics such as cocaine or heroin

Fortunately I was able to use my wit and charm to convince the nice lady that I was none of the above, although she seemed unconvinced where B was concerned.

I doubt the term "glaring" is appropriate here, "minor" is more in line with what you're describing, possibly even "unnoticeable".

You want glaring? I went to renew my drivers license this morning, and the way the questions were worded I almost admitted to being:

A). A convicted felon
B). Have been judged mentally incapable (OK, they might have a case for that one, just ask around here)
C). Addicted to hard narcotics such as cocaine or heroin

Fortunately I was able to use my wit and charm to convince the nice lady that I was none of the above, although she seemed unconvinced where B was concerned.
Okay, you won this round Gunn but I'll be back!

It's smart to make your aircraft capable of being knocked down and reassembled in the field. Japan's main fighters, the A6M, Ki-43 and Ki-44 had mono-spar or monolithic wings, meaning the wing cannot be removed in parts for later reassembly in the field, as shown on the A6M Zero being restored below. The wing is one big piece from tip to tip. The only three ways to get your Zeros and Oscars to forward bases is to fly them there, find a freighter with wide open decks, or use an aircraft carrier as a ferry, as was done with the Hiyo class of light fleets after Midway.

View attachment 594399
Legend Flyers Zero – Restoration Update

Here's a Hawker Hurricane coming out of its crate. One can imagine only a couple of hours needed to bolt on the wings, rudder and prop, top up the fluids and ammunition.

View attachment 594405

If only the below was the scene at Singapore in late summer 1941.

View attachment 594406

I imagine the wood used on those crates was repurposed and is probably framed in some Ghanaian houses today.
I have seen a number of examples where the crates were reused by Ground Crew to make better class accommodation than provided by their air force. The most impressive being 8th Air Force crew who did a lot better than the standard issue Nissen Huts.

I just saw a YouTube video entitled "Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands (CG Documentary)". It was by -Juno- TakaLeon. It looks really good to me. It doesn't seem to have a bias. The site has a few interesting videos, mostly combat sims. I did watch a clip of a Ki-84 that was filmed at a 1973 airshow. Neat stuff.
I gotta' figger' out how to link these things.

Mmmm... Not sure about that, the USN wasn't "baited" out to protect Midway, Nimitz et. al. were spoiling for a fight, he believed that his carriers and air crews were as good as the IJN.

Parshall and Tully make this point in Shattered Sword. They also assert that given the choice between losing Midway and losing a couple of carriers, Nimitz preferred losing Midway and saving the carriers. I think this is the rationale behind his "calculated risk" orders.

The question remains, if IJN had availed itself of German radar and communications technology as the admiral suggests, could they have used it effectively, so early on the learning curve?

Even had German radars been present, and the IJN had had time to incorporate that technology into their doctrine, the crummy radios on the Zeros may well have rendered its impact meaningless. If those fighters can't hear the fighter-directors, they can't be where they needed to be.

Japanese C³I was crummy throughout that battle, from the inadequate search to the absence of radar and radios that worked for their fighters, to the basic assumption of Japanese leadership that the Americans would cooperate with Japanese plans.

And directly to your question quoted above, look at the CAP issues Americans had in the Battles of Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz, and that was with functioning radars and radios. We still hadn't integrated them into a functional doctrine; we were still learning 2-4 months later, ourselves.

Good question! I think it might have. Insert two more carriers into the historical sequence of the actual battle, and the likely retaliatory strike against TF17 would likely have been devastating. There wasn't much CAP available over the American carriers, and they would likely have been overwhelmed.

Not to mention the clusterflock that was the main American strike. It's likely at least one of the two hypothetical add-ons would have, like Hiryu, escaped damage -- or perhaps even notice, in the confusion of the battle. You not only have more decks for cycling CAP, you have more bombers available for the counterstrike.

We could be looking at Yorktown lost in the first strike, and the other two American flattops damaged or sunk in the second. That's a major shift in the outcome of the battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back