NiD-622 questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Romanator21

Airman
Feb 16, 2010
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to start this thread. If it's not, please feel free to move it. :oops:

I have severall questions regarding Heller's 1/72 Nieuport Delage NiD-622, specifically, this plane:

Nieuport%20Ni%20D622%20Smer.jpg

nid62-7.jpg

The box says it flew in the 6th sqadrion, 34th regiment(?) in Strasbourg, 1931-32

I'm trying to figure out what the overall color should be. I see models of similar French aircraft painted anywhere from an apple green to a brown or olive drab, and I'm rather confused. Is there an FS number or an equivalent in Humbrol, Model Master, etc?

The circle surrounding the rooster on artwork and decal sheets is depicted as blue surrounding white, but in the photo, the shades are nearly the same. Is blue and yellow(ish) reasonable?

What shape of propeller does this version of the plane have? The kit provides what looks like a variable pitch metal one, but all others I've seen have wooden props.

Is there any information if the airfoil between the landing gear struts was bare metal or painted?

I can't tell if this plane is carrying the gun-camera and/or generator in the wing. Is there any info on that?

What are the shapes of these particular Lamblin radiators on the gear struts? I can only find close ups of the under-wing versions on the NiD-72

The landing gear struts are "N" shaped. In the photo, two appear to be in natural metal/silver lacquer. But it seems the forward strut carrying the radiators is painted. Is this right?

The wing-to-fuselage fairings for the lower wings on this plane are natural metal/silver lacquer. Are there any diagrams depicting the shape and position of these fairings?

The alternate scheme in the kit is for a navy version (Escadrille de Cooperation Maritime 3C2 in Marignane, 1932).

nieuport-622.jpg

From what I can determine the main colors are two shades of grey. Is there a close match for them?

Is the writing in the tail yellow or white?

Are the landing gear struts bare metal? The axle airfoil? The wing-fuselage fairings, etc?

Is that a wooden propeller in the photo?

What's the protrusion on the right wing? I don't see that on the left, or in the other photo.

Are the main "Y" struts top or bottom color?

Sorry if this is a lot to ask at once, but even the smallest piece of info will be great.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to start this thread. If it's not, please feel free to move it. :oops:

I have severall questions regarding Heller's 1/72 Nieuport Delage NiD-622, specifically, this plane:

Nieuport%20Ni%20D622%20Smer.jpg

nid62-7.jpg

The box says it flew in the 6th sqadrion, 34th regiment(?) in Strasbourg, 1931-32

I'm trying to figure out what the overall color should be. I see models of similar French aircraft painted anywhere from an apple green to a brown or olive drab, and I'm rather confused. Is there an FS number or an equivalent in Humbrol, Model Master, etc?

The circle surrounding the rooster on artwork and decal sheets is depicted as blue surrounding white, but in the photo, the shades are nearly the same. Is blue and yellow(ish) reasonable?

What shape of propeller does this version of the plane have? The kit provides what looks like a variable pitch metal one, but all others I've seen have wooden props.

Is there any information if the airfoil between the landing gear struts was bare metal or painted?

I can't tell if this plane is carrying the gun-camera and/or generator in the wing. Is there any info on that?

What are the shapes of these particular Lamblin radiators on the gear struts? I can only find close ups of the under-wing versions on the NiD-72

The landing gear struts are "N" shaped. In the photo, two appear to be in natural metal/silver lacquer. But it seems the forward strut carrying the radiators is painted. Is this right?

The wing-to-fuselage fairings for the lower wings on this plane are natural metal/silver lacquer. Are there any diagrams depicting the shape and position of these fairings?

The alternate scheme in the kit is for a navy version (Escadrille de Cooperation Maritime 3C2 in Marignane, 1932).

nieuport-622.jpg

From what I can determine the main colors are two shades of grey. Is there a close match for them?

Is the writing in the tail yellow or white?

Are the landing gear struts bare metal? The axle airfoil? The wing-fuselage fairings, etc?

Is that a wooden propeller in the photo?

What's the protrusion on the right wing? I don't see that on the left, or in the other photo.

Are the main "Y" struts top or bottom color?

Sorry if this is a lot to ask at once, but even the smallest piece of info will be great.

Hello,

All the answers to your questions are in the Airmagazine N°10 issue, from october november 2002.

Air Mag N° 10 septembre-octobre 2002

Write to:
TMA
12 rue Claude Decaen
75012 Paris
France

They are also producing Azur Kits, with french NiD 622 and spanish NiD 52 (different shapes, so different boxes).

Basically; the Smer kit is an old Heller mould.

Some links

Nieuport Delage NiD-622 de Heller (72)

ModelForum • Zobrazit téma - Nieuport-Delage NiD-62 (Azur 1/72)

Master194.com • Afficher le sujet - 1/72 Azur NiD-62 - Problème au montage

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks so much for those links.

Every time I pick up what looks like an easy kit, I end up having to pull my hair over paint schemes and other details. I need an easy OOB for my nerves :lol:

Looking at the decal for the rooster artwork, it is apparent that it is completely wrong in several aspects. One day I may print my own, but I think for now I'll try to make the Naval version. It's a beautiful plane, and I hope to do it justice.

Every time I pick up what looks like an easy kit, I end up having to pull my hair over paint schemes and other details. I need an easy OOB for my nerves :lol:

So you have to try to HobbyBoss kits. Smer ,Airfix, Matchbox , sometimes Revell and other old manufactures don't offer modles of a good enough quality. ;)

Yeah, but sadly HB doesn't make a Ni-D 62 now do they? :p That's not going to solve my painting woes anyway : /

I'm trying to use photographic evidence, but the play of light on those old films are really making the task of figuring out paint patterns impossible...

So, here's some other stuff I collected:

From the same squadron -

07.jpg

Aircraft in question -

nid62-c4.jpg

nieuport-622.jpg

I can't tell of the area forward of the 'pit is bare metal, or painted. Same goes for the wing fairings and gear "N" struts. The axle airfoil is impossible to decipher. I can't decide if the wings have dark tops and lights bottoms, or if the upper wing is entirely dark, and the lower entirely light, as suggested by the Azur paint instructions. My decal sheet shows the "3-3C2" lettering to be yellow, as a pose to white on the profile.

Oh, and the black rectangles on the cowling - painted (anti-glare?) or part of the (exposed) engine?

I'm getting to pull my hair :lol: (You should have seen me when I was trying to figure out how to paint my Airfix Boomerang). :lol:

Last edited:
Here are two great builds that demonstrate some of the controversy that I'm trying to resolve, particularly with the colors of the wings:

file.jpg

file.jpg

VS.

201006282246_58.jpg

201006282246_52.jpg

Write to:

TMA
12 rue Claude Decaen
75012 Paris
France

Is this the publisher? (Gosh, all I do is ask questions it seems...)

Last edited:
Thanks Wurger, these photos are helping me a great deal!

One thing I've noticed is a black region on the leading edge of the lower wing. The ground crew could push the plane around by the lower wing (photos show this), so I imagine this was there to prevent damage to the fabric. I've not seen this represented on any model I've seen though.

There are also several thin slots/louvres in the "horns" of the engine cowling, which I also haven't seen on any kit yet.

As for what parts are grey or light grey - it seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft. On the subject in question, the red of the lower roundel seems to blend well with rest of the wing, suggesting that it's totally dark grey, top and bottom, while the lower wing may be dark on top, and light on the bottom, with the aforementioned black strip. The gun-camera and generator (?) on this plane could be painted a different color than the rest of the wing, appearing almost black in some photos.

I'm confident that the wing fairings and the forward-upper fuselage is bare metal.

I just need to sort out a couple minor points (landing gear struts and airfoil), and I'll be able to rest easy again. :lol:

My theory is that the struts are metal or light grey, and the airfoil is metal or some combination of grey.

PS - I'm not sure if my PMs are sending...are you getting them?

Last edited:
And a few more finds here.

Attachments

• niD622_2.jpg
    niD622_2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 802
  • NiD622_3.jpg
    NiD622_3.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 479
  • nid62-3.jpg
    nid62-3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 550
The Pascal Dudu's colors from the Heller kit are reliable considering the doc i have, but out of order scan (sorry).

Looking at the decal for the rooster artwork, it is apparent that it is completely wrong in several aspects. One day I may print my own, but I think for now I'll try to make the Naval version. It's a beautiful plane, and I hope to do it justice.

Sure 8), even if i prefer the NiD-52 for exotic bright spanish colors, and dramatic history...Its'a little difficult to built and paint, but is always the price to pay for "cultural exceptions". To see only Mustangs and Messers beggins to became boring, isn't it?

Yes TMA, is a publisher and José Fernandez the main director.

Regards

Just to have an order of idea, browsed from the AirMagazine issue, but not good respect on colors, the green being to much grey unlike the guenine image...

nid62-c1.jpg

Last edited:
It is isn't it?

The irony is that I now know exactly how to paint the famous "white 6" which is represented on the sheet, but still can't because the rooster looks more like a penguin with a hat. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but it's not 'just a chicken'. :)

The decal provided in the kit:

NiD-662_11.jpg

The mascot looks rather "deflated" and not showing any aggressiveness that the real artwork shows:

nid62-7.jpg

Chest out, head cocked back, about to let out such a "COCKADOODLEDOOOOO!!!" so as to make any opposition turn on their heels and run back home. :D

As a side note, I'm under the impression that the Rooster mascot is surrounded by blue and yellow (or some other color) rather than white.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if it would be possible to mask and paint each individual component of the artwork in layers? I don't own an airbrush, so could it be done with a hairy stick?

Thanks for all this info guys, it's all really helpful.

Last edited:
I just found this box top that illustrates almost exactly what I want to do. The only thing I would do differently is delete the gun camera, and paint the N struts bare metal.

Ni-D%20622.jpg

Unfrtunately in many cases decals , that come with a kit , are incorrect at many areas. Sometimes it is simply a scrap..... The only solution is to find a decal sheet with correct markings offered by other manufacturers. Of course if you want you can make them yourself. There is a few ways of that. One of them is like you said in your questions above..

I realize that printing would be the best way to go, but I simply don't have the necessary things to do that - color printer, decal paper, etc. I don't think there are aftermarket sheets that include this plane. I'll keep searching.

How are custom decals made? I've only ever seen the above method used. Google search doesn't turn up anything...

No matter though, I'll be doing the Navy scheme 8)

Making your own decals was being done long before computers were invented, let alone Google ! It's one of those things which is probably long before the average Google contributor learned to use a keyboard, before learning to write!
It's many years since I made my own by the 'hand drawn' method, so I'm a bit rusty. But basically, the required image is drawn/painted onto gummed paper, then sealed with a coat of varnish. When fully set, they can then be used in the same way as water slide decals.
I know that Wojtek (Wurger) still makes some this way, so hopefully he will be able to provide more detailed information. It's not as difficult as you might think, but obviously depends on your artistic/calligraphic skills, or the ability to trace images accurately.

Ah, ok I could have thought of that, lol :oops: Thanks, I'll try this out as soon as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back