Nieuport 28 crashed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Davecww1

Airman 1st Class
Jan 31, 2021
Was at the American Heritage Museum yesterday to watch the Nieuport 28 fly. Unfortunately on landing the gear collapsed causing it to roll over. Wings broke off but luckily the pilot was OK.

Attachments

• 20230917_110638.mp4
    26.6 MB
Was at the American Heritage Museum yesterday to watch the Nieuport 28 fly. Unfortunately on landing the gear collapsed causing it to roll over. Wings broke off but luckily the pilot was OK.
Good that the pilot was OK!
Pure speculation but, sounds and looks like the pilot was fighting for power from the engine.

Eng

I think the "fighting for power" was the pilot blipping" the throttle, a common form of engine control of the period.
No doubt the accident investigation report will, in due course, reveal what happened, but my first guess (and it's only a guess) is wind shear or turbulent downdraft over / from the trees on finals, causing a hard touch down.

Yep, and reporting of the sad double fatal at Reno says the T6 is used for training by the U.S. Air Force and Navy.

Eng
Well, they're sort of right - the AT-6 was used by the USAAC/USAAF/USAF and the SNJ was used by the USN/Marines amd Coast Guard.

However, I believe they have the NAA AT-6 confused with the Beechcraft T-6 Texan II, which IS currently in use with the USAF and USN as a primary basic trainer.

Totally different machine, though.

I think the "fighting for power" was the pilot blipping" the throttle, a common form of engine control of the period.
No doubt the accident investigation report will, in due course, reveal what happened, but my first guess (and it's only a guess) is wind shear or turbulent downdraft over / from the trees on finals, causing a hard touch down.
Well, yes the old rotary engines generally do have "BLIP" switch to cut the ignition for power control and you hear the RUN...OFF...RUN...OFF engine sound. However, the Gnome Mono 9N in that Nieuport 28 aircraft has an ignition selector that allows selection of firing on only a certain number of cylinders to give partial power levels when selected. This effect gives a steady exhaust sound but with reduced firing pulses. Listening to the audio of the accident, the engine note sounds unsteady to my ear.
The aircraft is badly damaged but, I am certain that it will be fully repaired with great care and skill.
Cheers

Eng

My email in-box is frothing at the massive stupidity of AP and NBC headlines: Vintage Airplane Flips On Its ROOF.
You read that correctly...
I noticed the word ROOF also. Stupidity in today's journalism doesn't surprise me at all. It's rampant. The amount of ignorance on the part of younger writers is appalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back