P-40 Crashed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Sad day another pilot dead and P-40 crashed. Prayers to his family. Seen this aircraft many times at Air Venture through the years.

But of course it's ok for the rich to destroy the last few airworthy examples of an airframe so long as they kill themselves in the process? Because it's their "property"? < spit >

< spit again > sorry. I'd rather see these birds in a museum than in the hands of some egotistical bastard who will kill himself (like the four shit heads who coerced a fifth child who understood he was going to die when they went to "see" the Titanic) There is no real difference. Just an ego.

Governements should forceably buy up all remaining pre-1945 aircraft. Fly those that are appropriate and place all of them in a museum all over the world...

This is from my part of the world. Wings Of The North is based in Eden Prairie Mn. Very Sad,'

:pilotsalute:
It is, but the aircraft was an assemblage of parts. It wasn't a original P-40E. So those who are complaining about original aircraft being destroyed should know that for the most part, most of the flying aircraft aren't original. Some are pure reconstructions with the only real piece being a data plate.

But of course it's ok for the rich to destroy the last few airworthy examples of an airframe so long as they kill themselves in the process? Because it's their "property"? < spit >

< spit again > sorry. I'd rather see these birds in a museum than in the hands of some egotistical bastard who will kill himself (like the four shit heads who coerced a fifth child who understood he was going to die when they went to "see" the Titanic) There is no real difference. Just an ego.

Governements should forceably buy up all remaining pre-1945 aircraft. Fly those that are appropriate and place all of them in a museum all over the world...
People should be able own them privately if they want and follow normal safety regulations.

Many are already in museums, the biggest being the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio,

Uhhh...this post is a joke...right?

And what else should The Government seize for the Public Good?
Check the owner's manual. It's better known as The Constitution.
Besides:
the Government had thousands of examples of nearly every aircraft it purchased during WW II, and destroyed them rather than preserve enough "for museums all over the world."
So whose fault is THAT?
I grew up in the antique and warbird communities, and this example would not exist but for my father and a couple of others:
DadSBD.jpg

It really is up to who owns it. I'd love to restore that B-17E in Texas that GrauGeist once mentioned. I would restore her to factory fresh flight worthiness. I would never fly it. Taxi it around with a safely spaced safety convoy, sure. That is my choice. I'd also love to see that SBD fly by on an especially quiet day and enjoy its lovely song. One of my favorite planes.
It hurts seeing pics of surplus warbirds being piled up and being scrapped but let's face it, these things take up a lot of space and are expensive. If a disagreeable paint job will keep these planes around, okay, I'll bite the bullet. If someone modifies a Spitfire or Mustang into a two seater (travesty!*), well it's better than that plane not existing at all. Of course, your mileage may vary.

* The "Stars Look Down" obviously doesn't count.

Years ago I heard that there was a guy in the US who was building a NEW F4U Corsair. He had the blue-prints etc but was re-engineering it to modern standards so it could take double the G-forces. Probably all just wishful thinking.

Just have to wait and see what happened.
A corsair land fails to deploy one of it's flaps, rolls, gone.
A screwball flies his P-51 out over the Gulf of Mexico, runs out of fuel? WTF?
Famous singer buys Homemade Long Ezee, fuel tank switch over left shoulder, spins into surf, gone! WTF?
Pilot fails to believe his instruments, charts? Flies into hills at Dublin, CA. Gone, WTF?
Many reasons, many planes, many pilots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back