No.409 Squadron HELP (Photos included)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oct 16, 2009
Hey all, I posted previously in a 409 thread, but it didn't seem like anyone has checked in on it for a long time, sorry if it counts as a double post.

Anyways, So my grandfather was a Corporal in the 409 Squadron ground crew from 1941-45. I have never met him as he died before I was born, though he survived the war. I have began looking around for some information about his military career, and have collected his medals, pins and souvenirs from the war. I have pieced together what i know so far from pictures and notes written on them. I am going to post the images following this text. If anyone can help me out with any avenues I may be able to go down to find out the most I can, that would be much appreciated. I know his # was R.73730, name Marcel Bouchard. Any other photos you may have would be helpful as well as I try and piece together this kind of mysterious part of my families history. I have some others as well, i wont post them all. If you would like to see more just ask.

409squadron.jpg

Marching in 1940, South of England. Perhaps Digby. My grandfather is in the front on the right. My Grandmother drew an arrow, of course.
bilderausdemlebendesfuh.jpg

The infamous Bilder Aus Dem Leben Des Fuhrer. The picture book that was available in 1936, acquiring the pictures by sending in coupons you would get from a pack of smokes. All photos are accounted for and intact in this copy.
bilderausdemlebendesfuh.jpg

Inside the front cover, my Grandfather left a nice message. "We crossed the Rhine on April 18th 1945".
MedalsPins5.jpg

His medals, including pins of the Canadian Legion.
NaziPropaganda.jpg

Nazi propaganda poster.
RCAFFlag2.jpg

RCAF Flag.
SgtMarcelBouchardinGermany.jpg

My Grandfather in, the note on the back says, Germany.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks for your time.

-Midnight is still our noon.

Hi,

Great pics, thanks for posting them.

There's a potted history of 409 Squadron here:

http://www.manitobamilitaryaviationmuseum.com/PDF/409squadron.pdf

It doesn't mention all events and personnel, but it certainly gives a flavour for the operations.

How much of your Grandfather's military personnel file do you have? If you can demonstrate your family link, you may be able to get them from the Canadian authorities. I can't recall precisely how this is done, but if you track down the "RAF Commands Forum" and ask there, the researchers there will be able to tell you.

Are you sure pic number 1 is England? Those cars look distinctly North American.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Great pics, thanks for posting them.

There's a potted history of 409 Squadron here:

http://www.manitobamilitaryaviationmuseum.com/PDF/409squadron.pdf

It doesn't mention all events and personnel, but it certainly gives a flavour for the operations.

How much of your Grandfather's military personnel file do you have? If you can demonstrate your family link, you may be able to get them from the Canadian authorities. I can't recall precisely how this is done, but if you track down the "RAF Commands Forum" and ask there, the researchers there will be able to tell you.

Are you sure pic number 1 is England? Those cars look distinctly North American.

Cheers,

Mark

Yes great pics.

Agree Mark on the cars. Also, did Digby have streetcars?

Nighthawk, I have 409 being formed at Digby June 7 1941.

Thanks alot, I have actually just recently got my hands on that exact historical piece from the Manitoba site. It was a great read for sure. I am gonna check into the RCAF forum and see what I can do to get my hands on his personnel file, thanks for the heads up.

Also, good point on the cars in the first photo. It just might be a picture from here in Montreal. Though I can't be sure, I would have to check into it.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

No worries. Just to be clear though, it's the RAF Commands Forum, not the RCAF Commands Forum. Just to avoid any confusion.

I tracked down the forum. I took a look around and seems like that was just the right place to go. There are some guys there that seem to have access to a large amount of personnel information. I have registered but my email was blocked by their administrator. I sent him a message giving him a piece of my mind. Im sure it will all end well.

I tracked down the forum. I took a look around and seems like that was just the right place to go. There are some guys there that seem to have access to a large amount of personnel information. I have registered but my email was blocked by their administrator. I sent him a message giving him a piece of my mind. Im sure it will all end well.

Hi Again,

Go easy on Ross if you can - not so very long ago his board was being spammed relentlessly and it appeared for a while that the board could not continue.

If you end up not eble to register, post again here and I'll start a query for you.

Oh...well, Giving him a piece of my mind was more of a euphemism. I hope I didn't ruin my chances. I don't think you'll need to follow it up, though I can't see why it would hurt. I haven't recieved a response from him yet, but I think asking for a response in a day might be rushing it.

I had an uncle who flew with 409 during ww2. I am looking for any squadron member pictures/ info. I do have some pictures and info which I recieved years ago. I'd certainly contact with anyone who would be willing to share such things...
Cheers

My father served in squadron 409 during WWII. I may have a some information or photos. My father talked and wrote about his experience. What was your uncle's name?

radar...you do realize this thread is a couple years old...and the OP and last poster dont have many posts. might check their profiles and see if you can email them directly.

Thanks bobbysocks. Just sent a private message off.

Just found this forum not sure if any of you are still around or checking in but I recently received my grandfathers army trunk with a crap load of photos and other items. He was a mechanic with 409 squadron. I have a ton of pictures and would love to get some information to piece together his service. I may have some pictures of your relatives as well please message me if your interested in exchanging information or pictures.
new1.jpg
new2.jpg
new3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back