No 56 Squadron, RAF, 'The Firebirds', 1918 - 2008.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan knows a place where there's plenty of crumpet....oops! Wrong sort though!
Anyway, here we go, nearing the end.
The gunsight has been fitted, painted and glazed, and the windshield and canopy trimmed, thinned, and the frames painted, although they are yet to be fitted. The inner wheel bay doors have been filed and sanded to the correct shape, their edges chamfered and fitted in place, along with scratch-built retraction jacks. The small, outer auxiliary doors provided in the kit were way too thick, scaling out at around 5 inch thickness, so these have been replaced with plastic card items.
The landing gear legs and doors have been fitted, the resin wheels painted and fitted and a new pitot head made and fitted, and again, this has yet to be painted. Also, the wing landing lights have yet to be glazed.
All that remains now is a little detail painting, the addition of scratch-built items such as the retractable boarding step and the antennas, and the fitting of the canopy, windshield and prop. Then, after adding a little more dirt and some light staining, the Tempest will be finished!

Attachments

• 56 Sqn Build 154.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 154.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 56 Sqn Build 158.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 158.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 56 Sqn Build 155.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 155.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 56 Sqn Build 160.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 160.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 56 Sqn Build 159.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 159.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Vic. Note I ommited the 56 Sqn badge and 'flash' from the fin - I discovered these weren't added until January 1945, when the'Sky' tail bands were deleted. Saved a lot of hassle I can tell you!

Greetings All,
I am looking for a list of RAF WWII aircraft that used the Analog Air Position Indicator for lat/long navigation. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks.

Thanks Evan.
Zenstar, that is a piece of equipment I'm unfamiliar with. All RAF crewed aircraft navigator's used the Mercator instrument ('Whizz Wheel'), in conjunction with a sextant, stop watch etc for dead reckoning navigation, plus, if equipped, electronic navigation aids of the period. However, this is the wrong section to ask the question - I'd suggest you post this in the Technical Section, where there'll be more exposure and a better chance of some response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back