Non-US carrier aircraft on US carriers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

During Operation Dragoon, the invasion of Southern France, a RN Swordfish made an emergency landing on the USN CVE-72, USS Tulagi, but ended up in the barrier, so didn't stay aboard for long.

.View attachment 623089View attachment 623092View attachment 623093View attachment 623094View attachment 623095View attachment 623096
Ouch. Did any WW2-era, British-designed and piloted aircraft ever land well onto a USN carrier? Seafires pranged, and now Swordfish?

Ouch. Did any WW2-era, British-designed and piloted aircraft ever land well onto a USN carrier? Seafires pranged, and now Swordfish?

Actually yes. On 9 May 1942, 64 Spitfires were flown off USS Wasp and HMS Eagle headed to Malta. Canadian P/O Jerrold Alpine Smith, flying a Spitfire VC (with no tail hook), found after take-off that his long range fuel tank was unserviceable. Incapable of reaching Malta, he dropped it and returned to Wasp, circling until the deck was clear. At the time, future US Navy top ace David McCampbell was Wasp's LSO and he successfully guided Smith to a safe landing, the first ever for a Spitfire. P/O Smith was unofficially awarded US Naval Aviator's Wings aboard the Wasp for his outstanding feat.

Below is Smith after his landing, followed by McCampbell gifting Smith with his overseas cap and finally, Smith making his second takeoff from Wasp.

1533293_1.jpg
Rod-Smith-and-David-McCampbell.jpg
download.jpg

Actually yes. On 9 May 1942, 64 Spitfires were flown off USS Wasp and HMS Eagle headed to Malta. Canadian P/O Jerrold Alpine Smith, flying a Spitfire VC (with no tail hook), found after take-off that his long range fuel tank was unserviceable. Incapable of reaching Malta, he dropped it and returned to Wasp, circling until the deck was clear. At the time, future US Navy top ace David McCampbell was Wasp's LSO and he successfully guided Smith to a safe landing, the first ever for a Spitfire. P/O Smith was unofficially awarded US Naval Aviator's Wings aboard the Wasp for his outstanding feat
Had Smith pranged his Spitfire he might have lived past his death in August '42. Some good info from Veterans Affairs Canada. Jerrold Alpine Smith - The Canadian Virtual War Memorial - Veterans Affairs Canada

I just Wiki'd USS Robin. I checked it out on armouredcarriers.com. It's a great read. According to the site, although the planes carried stars, the ship flew English colours. There was a great captioned photo of USS Robin's flight deck with a big square patch painted on the middle the flight deck. This was a dummy elevator (lift) so that IJN bombers would aim for the vulnerable "elevator" which was in fact was the armoured part of the flight deck. Pretty neat!

Who knows, they might not have come to blows 20 years later.
Japan definitely chose the wrong side in WW2, deciding in Dec 1941 to throw away nearly fifty years (from the order of IJNS Fuji in 1894) of peaceful and (until the late 1930s) mutually beneficial existence with Britain.

Japan had three officers on board the Grand Fleet at the Battle of Jutland.

Commander Chiusuke Shimomura, IJN. Killed on HMS Queen Mary. Shimomura, Chisuko - Battle of Jutland Crew Lists Project
Commander Suetsugu Nobumasa, aboard HMS Colossus
Lt Commander Imamura Shinjiro aboard a light cruiser.

Nobumasa (1880-1944) later became an Admiral and was the Japanese Minister of the Interior in 1937-39. Vice-Admiral Imamura Shinjiro (1880-1969) became the Chancellor in 1936.

Japan definitely chose the wrong side in WW2, deciding in Dec 1941 to throw away nearly fifty years (from the order of IJNS Fuji in 1894) of peaceful and (until the late 1930s) mutually beneficial existence with Britain.

Japan had three officers on board the Grand Fleet at the Battle of Jutland.

Commander Chiusuke Shimomura, IJN. Killed on HMS Queen Mary. Shimomura, Chisuko - Battle of Jutland Crew Lists Project
Commander Suetsugu Nobumasa, aboard HMS Colossus
Lt Commander Imamura Shinjiro aboard a light cruiser.

Nobumasa (1880-1944) later became an Admiral and was the Japanese Minister of the Interior in 1937-39. Vice-Admiral Imamura Shinjiro (1880-1969) became the Chancellor in 1936.

The disavowed treaty aside, a breach in Anglo-Japanese relations was probably inevitable once the Japanese picked up the Mandates after Versailles, not to mention the accession of IJA radicals to positions of power in the 1930s.

Here's an Albacore coming in on final aboard the USS Robin :p:

View attachment 623174
Looking at these sea and cloud conditions, I imagine finding one's carrier was a very welcome sight. I'd be out of that crate, debriefed and into the officer's mess for a hot drink and then hit the bunk..... unless I'm expected to be back in the cockpit for a quick turnaround.

Looking at these sea and cloud conditions, I imagine finding one's carrier was a very welcome sight. I'd be out of that crate, debriefed and into the officer's mess for a hot drink and then hit the bunk..... unless I'm expected to be back in the cockpit for a quick turnaround.

It's hard for me to judge those conditions with a B&W pic to work with -- can't judge the nature of the clouds very well.

Sea skies can be notoriously tricky for me to read even with the benefit of color. It does rather look like the June Gloom we got seasonally in SoCal when I lived there (fog in the morning, scud with low ceiling after two or three pm, sometimes burning off). Not the best flying weather, but not the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back