Not digging into the website's redesign... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerGiLLster

Airman
May 1, 2015
I came back to ww2aircraft.net after visiting since the summer of 2015. Well, I can see the look being more modernized, but I just liked the HTML style for being simple and compact. The trailing header also quirks me.

Anybody used to the theme or do they miss the old style? I feel like I will get used to this in about a month.

Last edited:
I came back to ww2aircraft.net after visiting since the summer of 2015. Well, I can see the look being more modernized, but I just liked the HTML style for being simple and compact. The trailing header also quirks me.

Anybody used to the theme or do they miss the old style? I feel like I will get used to this in about a month.
Define "old style"! :lol:

If you wish to see what the forum looked like in "days of old", check out the Site Evolution Thread: WW2Aircraft Site Evolution

I geuss before this design, when it was more blocky and used white along with sky blue as part of the design lol

Changes always take a little getting used to, but this new layout has alot of features and seems to be working well enough.

If you stroll through that thread I shared, you'll see that this site has transitioned a great deal and alot of the "old timers", myself included, will tell you that the "Artikus" style was the absolute best.

Checking every function button with curiosity for a few days has let me forgot the old style fortunately as this new style is much more sophisticated and faster.

There is a LOT of Luddite in me but change is unstoppable. One of the best definitions of HIGH TECH is this:
High Tech is anything invented after you were 10 years old.

It is not so much a redesign, but the whole code base of the site has changed. This also brings changes in the theme as the older theme was made fo the older script.
If a person really wanted, they could adapt a style, such as Artukus, to the current layout/database.

But the current trend nowdays is to have a "clinical" look - muted colors, pastel highlights and simplified "2-D" icons.

I think that anyone who has joined the internet from 2005 onward has missed out on the best days of the 'net, the "Golden Age" of web design being from about 1997 to about 2002...

Well, I partly I agree with you, Dave. But back in the day, everybody had a nice 17 inch crt wich he used to surf the internet. Now we have smartphones , tablets, netbooks, widescreens etc. These new layouts are suitable for all that, while the old artucus would not work on your iphone. But maybe if we can get the template for a theme for this forum software, we could hack together a new artacus for this forum again :)

Well, I partly I agree with you, Dave. But back in the day, everybody had a nice 17 inch crt wich he used to surf the internet. Now we have smartphones , tablets, netbooks, widescreens etc. These new layouts are suitable for all that, while the old artucus would not work on your iphone. But maybe if we can get the template for a theme for this forum software, we could hack together a new artacus for this forum again :)
lol...a 17" CRT if you could afford it!

Most everyone had a 15" CRT for the longest time until the prices started coming down.

As far as Artakus goes, that would be cool, but I suspect it would involve a little work, especially if it's to be cross-platform compatible.

This button....bottom left of the page....this button makes the forum page....super wide. Outstanding!!

1.jpg

Now I can post photos 2 wide again.

Geo

lol...a 17" CRT if you could afford it!

Most everyone had a 15" CRT for the longest time until the prices started coming down.

As far as Artakus goes, that would be cool, but I suspect it would involve a little work, especially if it's to be cross-platform compatible.
Yup, especially the microsoft browsers are a challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back