NYC Lawyer Suing Delta Over Stressful Flight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Usually I dispair of lawyer inspired lawsuits for trivial matters. But this time I agree with him. Once you pay for a ticket, the airline has an obligation to uphold the ticket. Putting up irrational roadblocks in rebooking the ticket should never be tolerated, regardless on who was to blame for causing the problems. And I hope more lawsuits are filed for similar atrocious events we here about from time to time, like people trapped in an airplane for several hours during a delay.

wcbstv.com - NYC Lawyer Suing Delta Over Stressful Flight

NYC Lawyer Suing Delta Over Stressful Flight
Alleges Airline Would Not Allow Re-Booking Over Phone; Asking For $5 Million And Class-Action Status
NEW YORK (AP) ― A New York City lawyer is suing Delta Air Lines Inc. for $5 million, claiming the carrier's incompetence and indifference left him stranded in Paris for four days last October during an airport workers' strike.

Thomas Mullaney says Atlanta-based Delta refused to let passengers rebook flights by telephone and for "unfathomable" reasons insisted they go to the chaotic airport and rebook there.

Mullaney says he paid $5,000 for two round-trip tickets and Delta refused to reimburse him for the unused portion. He returned home on American Airlines.

Mullaney's lawsuit says he believes Delta stranded and failed to reimburse thousands of passengers. It was filed Wednesday in Manhattan and seeks class action status.

Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton says she can't comment on pending litigation.

I wonder if this would be covered by the "Passenger bill of Rights"

Sounds like he has a legitimate beef, it not for some BS reason like they ran out of peanuts or something.

If you have a ticket and something happens, strike, weather, breakdown or whatever they should make every reasonable effort to get the passengers where they need to go.

.If you have a ticket and something happens, strike, weather, breakdown or whatever they should make every reasonable effort to get the passengers where they need to go.

Thats true. I wouldn't want to remain stranded several days somewhere...even if that somewhere is Paris.Thats the problem with big companies...they think they own everything and can manipulate us every way they want...

You know, I gotta be the devil's advocate on this. When fuel prices were $2-3 per gallon for jet fuel, airlines could afford to put you up in a hotel and pay for things because you are inconvenienced. Now that it is $5 per gallon and more (much more) depending on where you go, I wouldn't expect anything more than a flight to and from. You miss a flight, late connection, etc, you are going to have to figure something out.

Of course a lawyer will file a class action lawsuit. The ones who make the money in class action suits are the lawyers, not the members of the class. Raise the awareness of the unpaid reimbursements and have the court decide who gets what, without the attorney getting 30% of the total first. Simple human greed on this one. He paid $5,000 for 2 round trip tickets and want re-imbursement for the unused part. Hmm, half of that is 2,500. Why not sue for 5 million. With the 30% attorney fees, he gets 1.5 million of that.

Nothing but greed here. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

With airlines in serious financial trouble in the US, it won't be long before there won't be any major American carrier left. We can thank a-holes like this suing for greed, not inconvenience.

Evan, the issue is making the guy rebook flights from the airport and not over the phone. Plus it made no attempt to see if he wanted to fly from another airport.

This lawsuit is good. The airline broke its contract with the guy by not honoring the terms of the ticket.

Yes, they screwed some things up. Yes it was an inconvenience to him. Is that worth 5 million dollars? And what is he going to do when the American carriers all go belly up because of fuel costs and litigation? Will he sue Aeroflot too?

He is entitled to compensation, actual and punitive because Delta didnt uphold its side of the ticket purchase.

Delta was legaly required to fly him that day and did everything in its power not to do it.

There was no justification for them to require customers to go to the airport for rebooking.

This is one case where I hope he gets far more money damages than he is asking for.

Yes, they screwed some things up. Yes it was an inconvenience to him. Is that worth 5 million dollars?

He is entitled to compensation, actual and punitive because Delta didnt uphold its side of the ticket purchase.

Delta was legaly required to fly him that day and did everything in its power not to do it.

Interesting question. Is he asking for any order requiring the airline to change it's practices? That would be some real benefit I would think?

I think Delta should be held responsible for out of pockets expenses
was Delta aware of the possibilty of a labour action if so they should have been bright enough to forewarn those with tickets that they could not be responsible for those dates

They certainly made mistakes and adequate compensation is in order, but not 5 million. It comes down to greed, plain and simple. I don't believe in punitive damages in cases like these. No one was injured or killed, just inconvenienced.

I just feel he is trying to make money the old fashion way.......sue to get it.

Millions for hot coffee get spilled on a lady's lap when she did it herself.
Millions for robbers when the home owner shoots them.
Now this.

They certainly made mistakes and adequate compensation is in order, but not 5 million. It comes down to greed, plain and simple. I don't believe in punitive damages in cases like these. No one was injured or killed, just inconvenienced.

Generally I agree with what you are saying. I guess the argument about punative damages is to give the airline a good reason to change practices. Otherwise they would just pay the $5k and keep screwing the passengers.

I would prefer to see the judge toss the 5 million punative award, but give him the $5,000+ costs and order the airline to change its customer handling practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back