NZ can't catch a break at the moment...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
If two major earthquakes in the last decade weren't enough, there's just been an eruption here which has killed 5 people so far, with another 8 missing.
The volcano Whakaari / White Island erupted at around 2 p.m. local time and there were two boatloads of tourists ashore (47 people). They managed to get about half of the people onto the boats before they had to leave, and a mix of rescue helicopters and private helicopters went out to the still active volcano and recovered all but the missing 8.

Live: Whakaari / White Island eruption 'No signs of life'

Heard about the eruption on last night's news. Tragic loss of life. Hopefully, the missing people might still be found alive.
They put up a drone this morning, and didn't see any signs of life unfortunately. So it's looking grim for those 8, but, fingers crossed.

Last I heard (from the CBC), the eight missing are considered to be dead. The NZ Police are opening a criminal enquiry.

Last I heard (from the CBC), the eight missing are considered to be dead. The NZ Police are opening a criminal enquiry.
Yeah, its a recovery operation now. A helicopter pilot flew over and landed, but couldn't find any signs of life.
It's a bit of a worrying sign that the police are opening a criminal investigation so soon. I think the company involved is going to be made an example of. After a couple of other major incidents the police have had a lot of criticism for the way they've handled investigations, so I think they'll throw everything at this one, unfortunately.
Everyone who goes to the island is made aware of the risks, so accepts them with full knowledge, but it seems that some people didn't think it could really happen, and now the company's going to pay.

Tragic loss of life. Maybe theres a chance they still might find a few survivors. Certainly hope so.
It's to bad that whenever something goes wrong some in positions of authority feel that someone must be punished. In some cases this is apropreate of course but in others as apears to be the case here, at least to me, sometimes bad stuff just happens. Doesn't mean they need to find someone to criminally prosecute every time.......Imho

Looks an incredible human situation. What they have to do now is to do the best to find survivors.
It's too early to give up for a couple of weeks.
In an interview with one of the rescue crew he stated they could have missing recovered in 30 to 40 minutes.
reading between the lines they took those still alive and left recovery till its safe to do so
sad but wise choice

I talked about the authority's posture but, in case of my 'volcano' county, there are a few shelters equipped per a volcano. We don't think no chance to survive so soon.

Tragic loss of life. Maybe theres a chance they still might find a few survivors. Certainly hope so.
It's to bad that whenever something goes wrong some in positions of authority feel that someone must be punished. In some cases this is apropreate of course but in others as apears to be the case here, at least to me, sometimes bad stuff just happens. Doesn't mean they need to find someone to criminally prosecute every time.......Imho

I suspect the reason for the criminal investigation is that the tour operators were warned, and chose not to heed those warnings, and did not adequately warn the tourists. "There may be a risk going near this active volcano, but it's minuscule" is a bit different from "there is a very real danger, and the government has stated the danger level is too great to bring tours to the island."

One of three shelters on the Mt. Fuji. Looks like an air-raid shelter though.

Shelter_Mt_Fuji.jpg

Source: 富士山にシェルターがある意味の画像

I suspect the reason for the criminal investigation is that the tour operators were warned, and chose not to heed those warnings, and did not adequately warn the tourists. "There may be a risk going near this active volcano, but it's minuscule" is a bit different from "there is a very real danger, and the government has stated the danger level is too great to bring tours to the island."
Perhaps it is warranted in this case then.
I have noticed however, starting maybe about 15 or 20 years ago, a reflexive tendency among many in authority, at least here in the U.S., to think whenever something goes wrong that someone needs to be prosecuted as a result.

It was a 2 on a scale of 1-5, and the volcano regularly fluctuates between a 1 and 2, and a 3 is where an eruption is expected, so this was within the company guidelines. There is only one company allowed to conduct tours to the island, and they liaise directly with GNS over the status of the volcano. This eruption was outside of previous patterns.
Human nature means that we don't adequately grasp the reality of extremely low probability, high consequence risks, so even though everyone on the island was aware of the risks, they wilfully ignored them.
Shinpachi Shinpachi - There is a shelter on the island, but it seems no-one made it there.

The police have now said that they will investigate, but it isn't a criminal investigation at this stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back