Obituaries (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am sure some have seen there was a crash in N.Y. with ex 49er tight end Russ Francis.
I knew him as a pilot at the Livermore airport in CA around 1991-1999. I used ti do some signpainting on his Mustang, he owned Bob Love's P-51D after Bob passed sitting in front of this Mustang. I've done this AC as a start to finish build. Russ also owned a Sea Fury, which is my GB63 entry. He had a Twin Baron and a Bonanza which happened to be the plane he took his first lessons in. And a black 400hp Steermen with 4 ailerons! He was also helicopter rated. He had a long association with flying and supporting a troubled flight school for a friend. I got to ride in the Bonanza, the Steerman and a number of times in the back of the Mustang. Got to hang out with him at some flyins and air shows. This photo was at Hamilton Field in Marin Co. CA. I haven't seen him since he went to New England playing for the Patriots in his last year of football. There were none I knew of who didn't truly like him. He had just six months prior to the crash purchased a flight school with a partner at the crash site. He will be missed.
Me-n-Russ F.jpg

I am sure some have seen there was a crash in N.Y. with ex 49er tight end Russ Francis.
I knew him as a pilot at the Livermore airport in CA around 1991-1999. I used ti do some signpainting on his Mustang, he owned Bob Love's P-51D after Bob passed sitting in front of this Mustang. I've done this AC as a start to finish build. Russ also owned a Sea Fury, which is my GB63 entry. He had a Twin Baron and a Bonanza which happened to be the plane he took his first lessons in. And a black 400hp Steermen with 4 ailerons! He was also helicopter rated. He had a long association with flying and supporting a troubled flight school for a friend. I got to ride in the Bonanza, the Steerman and a number of times in the back of the Mustang. Got to hang out with him at some flyins and air shows. This photo was at Hamilton Field in Marin Co. CA. I haven't seen him since he went to New England playing for the Patriots in his last year of football. There were none I knew of who didn't truly like him. He had just six months prior to the crash purchased a flight school with a partner at the crash site. He will be missed.
View attachment 749646

:salute:

As a Cowboys fan, he tormented my team regularly, but there was no doubting his talent. Learning that he was a committed pilot as well only increases my respect. May he rest in peace.

Another famous female ww2 aircraft builder. She stayed in the industry almost continuously until she was laid off again in 2014. Quite the waste, considering she was only 95 years old.

:pilotsalute: :pilotsalute: :pilotsalute: :pilotsalute: :pilotsalute:
Every C-17 has rivets she installed - despite being a line supervisor.
It was the closing of the C-17 line that finally forced her retirement.

The USAF C-17 community honored her:

Maureen Sweeney, the Irish woman whose weather forecast changed the course of the D-Day landings has died at the age of 100.

In 1944 Mrs Sweeney and her husband Ted worked at a coast guard and weather station in Blacksod Bay, County Mayo on Ireland's west coast.

They were tasked with taking hourly barometer readings night and day in the lead up to the Allied invasion of Normandy.

Their reports contributed to the date of the invasion being pushed back due to an impending storm

We were told that our reports were the first to show any change coming in for good weather or bad weather," she told the BBC in 2016.

On 3 June the readings showed a storm approaching from the Atlantic.

This information led to the invasion of Nazi-occupied France by Allied troops being postponed by a day, allowing the weather to improve.

The landings, which were the biggest invasion by sea in history, marked the start of the campaign to free north-west Europe from German occpation.

Their success helped pave the way for the defeat of the Nazi regime

:pilotsalute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back