Oh for %$# sakes! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You'll get no arguments from me on the procurement process. Buying off-the-shelf cheap has been a Canadian tradition for years, and we've been buying the odd bit of used hardware since the 1950's. We've been losing a domestic production capability steadily over the years too, so it's almost to the point now where we have to buy made-to-order or off-the-shelf. In the very near future, it'll be too late to do anything about that. :rolleyes:
The US has been fed up with us for years for not doing our part for North American defence, and who can blame them? Freeloading off of our neighbours is not a tradition I'm particularly proud of. No one in the Forces is. :confused: The same holds true for NATO. We bring almost nothing to the table.

The biggest problem we face with respect to recruitment has to do with what I was saying earlier. We tend to be viewed as anything but a military force. Many Canadians would rather we stuck to disaster relief - that's it. The present Canadian society has been reared by the rhetoric of the Pearson and Trudeau years, and have come to believe that we're some miraculous beacon of peace. We as a society view ourselves as being in a good cop/bad cop relationship with the US, and it's killing us!
We don't promote the Armed Forces in this country. There's practically no such thing as military pride anymore, and it's due entirely to the neglect and steady erosion we've been faced with since the late 50's/early 60's.

Maestro if you're serious about joining up in the US, I know it can be done. I'm not sure how exactly, but I've known people to do it. Make some inquiries to US recruitment websites. I'm sure they could help to steer you in the right direction.

Hey I'm with you my friend, although I'll always consider Canada my second country, I know where I really belong.

Nonskimmer said:
Maestro if you're serious about joining up in the US, I know it can be done. I'm not sure how exactly, but I've known people to do it. Make some inquiries to US recruitment websites. I'm sure they could help to steer you in the right direction.

Yeah, it could be a good idea... If it doesn't works for me in Ontario for the Correctionnal Officer job, I'll surely make a try either in the UK or US army. (Being neighbour of the US, it would be cheaper for me to go to the USA.) I'll have to wait a little, though. I'll only know about the Correctionnal Officer job next winter... if I'm lucky.

I understand that you don't want to leave Canada, you're closer to retirement than I am. ;)

It's true that Canadian army is saw like a cop. I remember seeing rookies crying after knowing that Canada was going at war against Afghanistan. Man, a soldier is a KILLER, not a piss-keeper... Eh, I mean a peacekeeper. Does it looks like I hate Blue Helmets ? :rolleyes:

I'll surely go on some recruitment web sites... I did it for the Royal Navy three years ago. Unfortunately, I was broke, too young for my father to let me go (I was 17) and the Recruitment Center refused to send information packages outside the UK. #-o

Think about it : I could have been piloting a Royal Navy Lynx over Afghanistan or been in the Royal Marines IN Afghanistan ! :shock:

Life is cruel... :(

Anyway, I'm still broke, but now I'm 20 (I'll turn 21 next month). Then no one could stop me... :D

US or UK ? I still don't know. I like UK and recruitment would surely be easier there, but I have not enough money to pay the trip there. I also like US and it is closer to me (so cheaper), but I heard that recruitment was hard as hell.

Anyway, I'll ask for informations to a US recruitment web site. We'll see how it will go...

So then I guess the Vandoos (Royal 22e Régiment) is out of the question. ;)

A friend of mine used to be posted to CFB Valcartier and from all I've ever heard about them, the Vandoos make the other regiments look like choir boys. :lol:
They're pretty insane I hear. I'd have thought you'd be right at home. ;)

Maestro said:
easier there, but I have not enough money to pay the trip there.

This might sound a bit simplistic, but I think if you were serious about the British Army they'd give you a travel warrant to come over.

At least I think they would, you'd have to ask.

This is what I found here http://www.army.mod.uk/

How do I join the Army if I come from an overseas Commonwealth Country?

Due to the high volume of applications received from potential overseas applicants, the British Army is not accepting further applications till the 1st June 2005. This pause in recruiting may be extended.

If you have not found the answer you are looking for why not log into the Online Office? This is the Army Online Careers Office. You can log in to the chat room and talk with a serving British Army Soldier. The office is open Mon to Fri 1200-2200hrs and Sun 1200-2000hrs. Click on the link below.

Which is here....

http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/enquire/index.html

If you were already a member of the Canadian Forces (not that I'm suggesting such a thing. ;) ) it might even be a little bit simpler.
Though I don't know of the exact channels one would take, as I've never bothered to look into it, I do know of fellas who have transferred directly to the British and Aussie navies, and vice versa. We have two or three Kippers in the Canadian Navy who came from the RN. ;)
It was pretty much a direct transfer, and I do know of at least two guys who left our navy to go and work for the RAN.

It can be done. I can only assume it would be similar for the Army.

Thank you for your help, guys. I'll have a look.

Concerning the Royal 22nd Regiment, it is "parked" right in my region. I know they have a Commando unit (Green Berets) but I wonder if they ever had an Airborne unit. I'll also have a look at this. If I can, I'll enlist and ask for a transfer to the British Army.

I also contacted a recruiting officer in USA yesterday. I'm still waiting for a reply.

:lol:
Woah, hold up! It may not be quite that easy. If you join the Canadian Army it may be possible that you could transfer to the British Army, but I don't think they make a habit of letting everyone go who applys. Also, we're in the process of trying to bolster our own numbers a bit right now, so I think it's doubtful that they'd let you go so easily.

By the way, all regular Canadian troops wear green berets. ;)
And yes, the Royal 22e have a jump company of paratroops. They're the ones with the maroon berets.

Well, we have the Parachute Regiment here, but a word of caution, they're the kind of guys who enjoy mashing their bare heads together to 'warm themselves up a bit!'

Then there are the bootnecks.....

M.uscles A.re R.equired I.ntelligence N.ot E.ssential

The really bad news for prospective bad guys is that it's just not obligatory to have a vast intellect either.

Lots of them have plenty of muscles and also can think up elaborate ways of introducing your intestines to daylight.

Medvedya said:
Then there are the bootnecks.....

M.uscles A.re R.equired I.ntelligence N.ot E.ssential

The really bad news for prospective bad guys is that it's just not obligatory to have a vast intellect either.

Lots of them have plenty of muscles and also can think up elaborate ways of introducing your intestines to daylight.

Hey - I was at El Centro Naval Air Station In California about 6 weeks ago. El Centro is the winter home for the Blue Angeles. That was written in every bathorrm stall! :evil4:

It is a good one! Just don't expect to say it in a RM or USMC wardroom and expect to leave alive too! :shock:

Medvedya said:
It is a good one! Just don't expect to say it in a RM or USMC wardroom and expect to leave alive too! :shock:

Could always wear one of these!

Attachments

• s-36253f_134.jpg
    s-36253f_134.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 89
Here in the States....

The Army calls helicopters "choppers."

The Navy calls them "Heilos."

What do the Marines call them?

uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh,uh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back