on order

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi all

just ordered a revell 1/32 Bristol beaufighter MK 1f and a revell spitfire MK22/24 also in 1/32, plus paints and brush set including postage and packaging
all of this for £42.19p. Don't know how much that is in $ or euro's etc.

Has anyone built these models and what are they like?

Iam going to try to paint these models when they arrive as it will be my first attempt. When they come. I will let you's know how i get on with them.

Not like the me109 k-4 model i put on here. That one went to my little niece :angel7: :( :( :(

Hi mate. The Spitfire is the old 1970's Matchbox kit and, although a little 'chunky' in some parts, can build into a very nice model. I've only ever seen the Beaufighter built-up in pictures, and again, although a fairly basic kit by todays' standards, from the 1980's, is quite good. They should both be around the £15 mark, and if it's any help, I'll be getting both of these kits myself soon!

The Spitfire has, as pointed out in another thread by Airframes, some pronounced panel lines. I'm kinda retentive about that kind of detail anyway so I usually fill them and restore them after the final painting. I just got the kit myself and haven't really sat down to study the accuracy. I just noticed the panel lines at a glance. Otherwise it looks like a very nice kit with certain under-skin details that could give the hi-def detailer a very good start. With a little bit of work it could be bashed into a Mk47 Seafire from what little I've researched so far. I'm going to build this kit next but hold short of final markings until I find out more info on other operators.

Hi Sweb. Give me a shout if you get stuck on the info. Off the top of my head, only No.80 Sqn., R.A.F. operated the Mk24, as per the kit decals, although other units of the RAF and R.Aux.A.F. operated the Mk22.

thanks guy's

I will hold off the decals when it is finished. the spit cost £15.29 and the beaufighter cost £14.96.

i will only paint the body and wings of the models as the controls etc are to fiddly for me to do. as i have arthritis in my hands and i shake with the pain:( .

I will post pics when i have finished them in a few weeks time

thanks for looking and replying

I can truly sympathise with you mate! I have severe, accute progressive Rheumatoid Arthritis, in hands, knees, and feet, and can only fully use one hand. Until four weeks ago, the pain has been incredibly debilitating, and has been for ten years. Now, my Consultant has finally had me approved for the new 'Humira' injections, the 'wonder drug' that I inject every two weeks. So far, although the damage to joints etc won't be repaired, the difference is incredible!
I can understand that it's painful, and bl**dy difficult, for you to try to paint the small bits. But, try to have a go, at least on the internal main parts, as you'll find the concentration helps releive the pain, concentrates the mind, and gives you a sense of achievement, taking you out of the 'doldrums' of the disease. Believe me, it works, as I have managed to continue modelling, with only 25% use of my left hand, and about 90% use of my right hand.
OK, the neighbours learn some new profanities, and it's like a comedy show watching me trying to pick up small parts, or even a paint brush, but it provides relief and a focus on life away from the stupid, horrible condition.
Terry.

thanks for that Terry

I will give it a go when the models turn up. Can't wait now, that me 109k-4 has got me interested in modelling again.

I hate this recession :(

thanks again
Keith

You're welcome Keith. Let me know what the Beau's like when you get it and, if you can, post some pics of the parts.
Cheers, keep at it mate!
Terry.

Hi Sweb. Give me a shout if you get stuck on the info. Off the top of my head, only No.80 Sqn., R.A.F. operated the Mk24, as per the kit decals, although other units of the RAF and R.Aux.A.F. operated the Mk22.

Thanks. I have only read mention of other Aux squadrons flying them and haven't done a lot of hunting yet to ferret out who they were. I know those Marks were only a flash in the pan so info may be scarce. The kit covers 3 users but only one Aux squadron. I have an acquaintance who flew them briefly prior to going to the Jet Provost and Hawker Hunter. He said he was at Henley but danged if Henley's history shows any Spitfires in the 1950-ish time period. Perhaps he's a bit fuzzy because he can't recall the squadron either. Then again, his cockpit time was brief and that was 50 years ago. My aim was to do up this kit in his squadron markings. Might be a dead end.

I have started the 1/32 Revell Beaufighter. I won it last year at our annual competition's kit raffle.

The cockpits are basic, but with some non-detail painting you can get a nice look. The engines aren't detailed, but with some paint detailing they can look nice when inside the cowls.

Dry fitting has shown the fuselage and wings will be tricky to get right.

Some internet searching has shone that a better bottom color for BT-T would be an RAF blue rather than the Sea Grey in the directions. Also I have seen pictures of two different A/C with the BT-T code in the 252 Squadron.

Now the question is when will I finish this huge bird!

Bill G.

Thanks for the info on the Beau, Bill. Sounds like I thought, just right for a load of scratch-built detail work! I'll more than likely be doing it in a Middle East RAF scheme, for the MTO GB when it comes around.
Sweb, I'll start looking for info for you. I think I should be able to come up with enough to at least help you narrow the field a bit. Coincidentally, I've had the Airfix 1/48th kit in my stash for over ten years now - eventually going to do it as an aircraft from my local R.Aux.A.F. Squadron in the late '40's. The 1/32nd version, when I get it, will be a 'doner' to make a MKXIV.

Thanks for the info on the Beau, Bill. Sounds like I thought, just right for a load of scratch-built detail work! I'll more than likely be doing it in a Middle East RAF scheme, for the MTO GB when it comes around.
Sweb, I'll start looking for info for you. I think I should be able to come up with enough to at least help you narrow the field a bit. Coincidentally, I've had the Airfix 1/48th kit in my stash for over ten years now - eventually going to do it as an aircraft from my local R.Aux.A.F. Squadron in the late '40's. The 1/32nd version, when I get it, will be a 'doner' to make a MKXIV.

Thanks. If you find something that seems to be close I'm sure it'll be perfect. Afterall, the fellow doesn't remember anyway and it's the thought that counts. I'll let him know it was this site that contributed to the model's completion.

Looking forward to seeing how you morph yours to a MKXIV.

No problems mate, I hope to have something for you by the end of this week.
BTW, the MkXIV will be the second one I've done. The first 'spun-in' of the top of a cabinet! It'll basically be the nose area, including prop, the radiators and undercart, plus a few more bits, mated to a modified fuselage and wings, hopefully from the Hasegawa MkV kit. Plus a lot of scratch-building of course!

No problems mate, I hope to have something for you by the end of this week.
BTW, the MkXIV will be the second one I've done. The first 'spun-in' of the top of a cabinet! It'll basically be the nose area, including prop, the radiators and undercart, plus a few more bits, mated to a modified fuselage and wings, hopefully from the Hasegawa MkV kit. Plus a lot of scratch-building of course!

Oh, simple then...

Hi Sweb. I've done a bit of preliminary digging re the Spit 22/24.
As I thought, only Number 80 Squadron, R.A.F. were fully equipped with the Mk24, and, apart from foreign users, the Mk22 equipped only the R.Aux.A.F., with 10 of the 'County' Squadrons using the type. None of these units were based at Henley, being stationed on their local county, or City, RAF airfield, for example, Turnhouse (Edinburgh) for 603 'City of Edinburgh' Sqn.
Incidentally, Henley was a 'Hostilities only' training base, a small grass airfield, and closed in 1945. Is it possible that your friend meant Kenley, the BoB fighter station in Surrey? This was operational at that period.
Although none of the R.Aux.A.F. Squadrons were permanently stationed there, it is very possible that one, or all of them, might have used the station for their 'Annual Camp', or for other training purposes. Of course, this still leaves you guessing as to which Squadron was involved. However, if you can narrow down the search a bit, even if it's finding out where the chap lived at the time, that could give a clue as to which Squadron you need.
As far as I can see, there was a transition period in colours and markings for the Spit 22, towards the end of it's operational life, where, perhaps, half a Squadron's aircraft would be in standard Fighter Command day camouflage, and half painted in 'Aluminium'. I should be able to provide a representative code and serial number for a Spit 22 from all or any of the R.Aux.A.F. Squadrons who used them.
Hope this helpds a bit.
Terry.

recived the model kits this morning and going by the boxes the beaufighter is going to be a BIG model.

the box it came in is 21.1/2 inch long.

going to take some time to build these models.

recived the model kits this morning and going by the boxes the beaufighter is going to be a BIG model.

the box it came in is 21.1/2 inch long.

going to take some time to build these models.

The Beaufighter is a big pup! It is not a hard build. The biggest problem is mating the outboard wing panels to the center section. They can be a problem!

In Step 4, the directions say to glue the outter panels 31, 32, 33, 34 together, then glue 35 36 to the outter panels. Lastly glue 37 to the rest.

I had better luck glueing 35 to 31, and 36 to 33. Next glue 32, 34, to 37. Then glue the top and bottom together.

My advice then is to try a bunch a dry fitting in different orders to see what works best on your kit! After you figure this out, the rest is easy!

Let us know what worked best for you.

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back