on order

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Sweb. I've done a bit of preliminary digging re the Spit 22/24.
As I thought, only Number 80 Squadron, R.A.F. were fully equipped with the Mk24, and, apart from foreign users, the Mk22 equipped only the R.Aux.A.F., with 10 of the 'County' Squadrons using the type. None of these units were based at Henley, being stationed on their local county, or City, RAF airfield, for example, Turnhouse (Edinburgh) for 603 'City of Edinburgh' Sqn.
Incidentally, Henley was a 'Hostilities only' training base, a small grass airfield, and closed in 1945. Is it possible that your friend meant Kenley, the BoB fighter station in Surrey? This was operational at that period.
Although none of the R.Aux.A.F. Squadrons were permanently stationed there, it is very possible that one, or all of them, might have used the station for their 'Annual Camp', or for other training purposes. Of course, this still leaves you guessing as to which Squadron was involved. However, if you can narrow down the search a bit, even if it's finding out where the chap lived at the time, that could give a clue as to which Squadron you need.
As far as I can see, there was a transition period in colours and markings for the Spit 22, towards the end of it's operational life, where, perhaps, half a Squadron's aircraft would be in standard Fighter Command day camouflage, and half painted in 'Aluminium'. I should be able to provide a representative code and serial number for a Spit 22 from all or any of the R.Aux.A.F. Squadrons who used them.
Hope this helpds a bit.
Terry.

Well now, it could very well have been Kenley and I heard Henley. Your explanation about the Annual Camp is probably one little tid-bit I didn't get from him, among others. When we speak again I'll try to jog his memory. He might even have his log books tucked away somewhere that will clear things up.

Thanks for taking an interest and the time.

Joe

No problems Joe, you're welcome. When you find out more, give me a shout and I'll dig out what I can. I might even be able to find a pic from some units, and can certainly find representative shots anyway.
Terry.

But you can take pictures ....hummm????? A joke of course. Start this build please.If you aren't sure about your skills feel free to ask.There is always someone who can answer your questions.

Hey that's not too bad...yes there are some issues in the construction, but the next stage is to fix, correct, improve upon the work you've started, enjoy this next phase and learn as you go along.... don't just hand ball it practice on it first!:D

hi all

painted the spitfire but can't put pics up as my mate has lent it for his wife( so she can get used to it ) as she is taking there daughter to a goth gathering at the weekend. Can't even put pics up of me doing the bristol beaufighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back