On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have to agree. When you put up the money to buy and maintain one of these historic aircraft, you can paint it any color you like. There are a few around that I don't particularly care for the paint schemes on, but say nothing as at least I am able to see them flying. I did make the mistake one time of stating that one scheme was "hideous". I got chided that if it doesn't belong to you, it's not your business. Fair point, and now I just bite my lip.

One of the biggest problems during the Kokoda campaign was supply. Douglas DC-3 transport aircraft became known as 'biscuit bombers' as they dropped supplies along the Kokoda Track. These supplies were then collected and carried to the forward lines by Papuan carriers. Supplies were dropped into clearings, although many supplies missed their target and fell into the surrounding jungle or were dropped from too high an altitude and were smashed when they hit the ground. Supply dropping improved as the battle along the Kokoda Track developed. Pilots and crews became better able to pinpoint the drop areas and fly at the optimum height for the dropping of packages, however the supplies then still had to be hauled for up to three days to the front line.

Alas, I've no pictures, but one of my uncles flew B-24s with the Carpetbaggers. He told stories about pulling up to go over church steeples. At night.

Users who are viewing this thread