One for the I.T people among us...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

<simon>

Airman 1st Class
Jan 24, 2008
Heyfield, Victoria
In the "What do you do for a living" thread I noticed a few people were I.T techies.
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i'm having with my emails (Outlook)/whole account.

Firstly, my account doesn't work.

When i try to log into my account it says I have a corrupt local file and it logs me into a temporary account.
After doing a disk defragment, I've found the "dud" file is or has something to do with my emails.
Now, I cannot access my emails at all as I can't log into my account, so I can't figure out what is the "dud" file and delete it or something.

Can anyone give me a bit of over-the-net advice??
Or do i need to get serious and take it to someone??

It is reasonably urgent as I know people have been trying to email me.

Thanks
Simon

I am a network engineer, so not an expert on Outlook, but it sounds like your PST file is the one that got corrupted. You may want to try opening outlook at seeing if the settings are right for your incoming and outgoing mail. Also look to see where it says to put your local mail. If it lost that setting, you won't see your previous mails.

If this is for home use, I highly recommend getting off Outlook and using Thunderbird. It's a way better e-mail client.

I recommend Hotmail or Gmail. Internet-based, can be checked from anywhere.

For fixing Outlook issues.....there's always "System Recovery" (nuke the dang thing and start from factory settings) or a sledgehammer. Both are fun, and theraputic!

Haha, as much as I would love to nuke it and start again, there are lot of messages of reasonable importance on my Outlook.

Something I will keep in mind though Rabidalien!

Thanks for your advice also Evanglider. Problem is, I can't open my account and therefore can't open my emails. You are bang on correct about the PST file though. After I did the defragment, I found the "dud" file was Outlook.pst
I have no idea what to do now though.

Thanks again guys

Simon

Good find Eddie. I have done I.T. work for 10 years now and just saw this thread. Microsoft's repair tool does a real good job correcting corrupt .pst file.

You can always create a "new" account. Use the known information, just
name the account something different [Like "Verizon2"] If all the info
is correct the system will use the correct information. I've had to do
this with printer set-ups when something got corrupted.

Charles

Hey everyone,

Thanks heaps for all your suggestions.
In the end I took it into the local computer shop mainly because I don't trust myself getting too technical with it.

Anyway, $45 and 51 unread emails later, everything is back to normal.

Thanks again anyway,
Simon

They can get quite expensive, i recenly thought i was up for a new video card which would be bad as i currently have a 7600 GT for thoes of you who know what they are however it just turned out ot be the moterboard cracking the shites, 250 bucks later she was all good.

I'll just nod my head and pretend to understand lol

Video card? Bit of a gamer Aussie??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back