Otto Schulz's Bf109 F-4 Trop Jg27

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Haven't seen that first shot before, good stuff Andy!

And in the image I have of < + - there is no lion emblem on the fuselage side,

That's good to know. Maybe not the easiest thing to paint. I'd bet they had a set of stencils for the Berlin Bear but maybe not for the 'Plastered Albion' lion.
Cheers
Steve

Karl, I would guess that the demarcation was standard and typical of all the profiles previously posted. Couple of other things to note in the picture of Schulz with his hand on the plane:

- sun is pretty much full on the fuselage so there may be glare obscuring the demarcation, if it's there. See below where I played with the contrast - can't really see any demarcation though I don't presume that it would show up with my bit of playing with Photoshop.
- different colour of rear canopy framing - RLM 66???
- The chevron looks quite small. If you project it behind Schulz's body, the open end does not appear to be any wider than the width of the Balkenkreuz.

contrast.jpg

Demarcation appears to be about four inches below the cockpit sill, roughly level with the top of the (main) black of the cross. Schultz looks very different without the Feldmutz on his noggin !

To be honest, I wasn't sure this was Schulz. After seeing it in Levigne's book, I googled the picture but could not find it at first. Rather, after googling "stab II/Jg27", I found the picture on a site about Gustav Rödel here:http://www.militaria-lexikon.de/katalog/wk2/wk2_konvolut7/militaria-lexikon_de_-_fotonac.html

Now pictures of Rödel confirm it's definitely not him in the pic but perhaps the connection is that perhaps he took the picture of Schulz as they served in the same Stab. So then I found this pic of Schulz with his hat off and saw the likeness to be sufficient to confirm Levigne's caption stating that it's Schulz.

Schulz, Otto - Oberleutnant.jpg

Last edited:
I really appreciate the time and effort from you guys, thanks !

Found the attached pic on the internet, what do you think of it as a starting point for Schulz's 109 ?

Attachments

• miniTC_34_profile_2.jpg
    miniTC_34_profile_2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 196
Notice the difference in rank in the photos of Schultz ?

War time promotions. By my reckoning Schulz went from Oberfeldwebel (Flight Sergeant) to Oberleutnant (Flying Officer) in about three months. One wonders at his lowly rank, he was four years older than Roedel who out ranked him by a large margin.
Cheers
Steve

I saw that profile too Karl and, if I recall, it was labeled as an earlier aircraft flown by someone else in late 41. The chevron position is very different if you compare the profile with the pic of Schulz stepping onto the 109. It does, however, provide another example of the mid-fuselage demarcation.

I saw that profile too Karl and, if I recall, it was labeled as an earlier aircraft flown by someone else in late 41. The chevron position is very different if you compare the profile with the pic of Schulz stepping onto the 109. It does, however, provide another example of the mid-fuselage demarcation.
You are correct Andy, found another very similar but is on my laptop !
I plan on doing this one in rlm 79/78 mid fuselage demarcation, plain white id markings on nose, wingtips and fuselage band and black kill markings and I might leave off the yellow lower engine cowl !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back