Ouch!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I don't think sending that stunt into You've Been Framed will pay for the repairs, pretty luck not to stall it into the cameraman, I hope the pilot and passengers are ok, and that he loses his liscense too.

If 'keel hauling' is for ships, would that make 'prop washing' for prop planes...? much too severe for the pilot perhaps whom thought 'this'll look good for tha camera, and get me some business too...'

You can see him adjusting to aim at/close to camera, gusetimate he was at roughly 85-ish% take off speed, stall climbed to clear it over river bank - if it weren't for his floats hanging off, he would've missed the fence might have almost made it into the trees further ahead of him.

Take off run was much to short for getting enough speed for 'plaining' on the step as pbfoot pointed out.

Last edited:
Any float plane pilots out there? what's it like taking off from water? Seems both easier and harder at the same time. Water is very dense but nice and flat until there is a chop

Take off run was much to short for getting enough speed for 'plaining' on the step as pbfoot pointed out.
I think he was yanked back on elevator and the floats were snowplowing in the water rather then on the step ( thats what its called same as power boat)

There may have been many factors contributing to this. Density altitude, weight of the aircraft while taking off, engine performance, ect. It looks to me he just did not have the airspeed and tried to get the aircraft flying before it was ready to do so. Life could suck when you don't have enough airspeed when trying to break out of ground effect.

A little past the middle of the video you can see a windsock. He started off his run downwind, and then turned crosswind, looks like 90 degrees. Puzzling.

Looked overloaded and not enough lake. He already dog-legged on the take-off. Should have shut it down and taxied back for a different run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back