P-36, P-35 or Wildcat

Which of these U.S fighters was the best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Read the specs. It is interesting that the P36 is about 2,000lbs lighter than the F4F and they both have the same engine. Probably different horse power ratings (but I think they both were 1200 horse engines).

P36 link:
P36 Hawk Info

F4F link:
F4F Wildcat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somehow, these numbers don't look kosher. Anybody have another set of data that might be more accurate. Can't see 2000lbs and 150horsepower putting out the same performance. Especially with the same engine.

Something screwy.

But, on another note, the dimensions look honest and they say the birds were essentially the same size.

I dont know how the P-35 "peashooter" even could contend with the Hawk and wilcat. It may have been manouverable, but it was slow, and way too lightly armed. even the italian aircraft like the Cr.42 would dance circles around the P-35. The only place i could see the P-35 having any effect, insignificant as it would have been, would be a light attack/support aircraft, using its small bombload, and low speed for dive bombing/strafing attacks. However the US had better planes available already, so this was never realized...
The Peashooter is the Boeing P-26 NOT the Seversky P-36 which has the name HAWK!!!

So, are you our new resident authority? If you read the thread all the way through you could have saved yourself your two posts, the "Peashooter" misnomer had already been clarified.

Maybe reading threads through might be a little better advice, eh?

I don't see how it could be any other plane than the Wildcat. Shot down more planes than both of the other planes on this poll combined. Maybe a better poll would have been substituting the P-40 for the P-35?

Last edited:
]Most people these days don't know JACK about airplanes!!! Go read about each one and their designations!!![/B]

1. He made a simple mistake.

2. He was corrected back in 2005!!!!!

3. All you have done is make an ass out of yourself. Well done...

3. What makes you the great authority to come in here with 2 posts and get an attitude (in a thread that in 4 years old...:rolleyes:). If you had actually read through the 4 year old thread, you might have seen this and not made an ass out of yourself.

4. Just by the odd chance that you actually return, you have received your one warning. Usually I believe in the 3 strikes your out rule, but you only get one...

Of course I doubt you will come back...

From what I understand the P-35 was suppoed to be a very stable and easy aircraft to fly to the point that it was "too stable" (if you could believe that) and this was actually considered a negative by some of its pilots and other who evaluated it.

Who cares? Most people need to get their aircraft right!! Sheesh! People take offense at ANYTHING these days !

The problem is the Higher ups of the government wouldn't put the later versions of the famous Gruman Cat series into service. I'm talking about the F7F the F8F Bearcat. With the experience of the American pilots; they could have EASILY shot down the early Commy jets!! BUT NO our so-called "experts" said!!!

So, are you our new resident authority? If you read the thread all the way through you could have saved yourself your two posts, the "Peashooter" misnomer had already been clarified.

Maybe reading threads through might be a little better advice, eh?
Geeze!! CHILL OUT ALREADY!!! Good grief, people on here are so unforiving over a SIMPLE MISTAKE!!!!

1. He made a simple mistake.

2. He was corrected back in 2005!!!!!

3. All you have done is make an ass out of yourself. Well done...

3. What makes you the great authority to come in here with 2 posts and get an attitude (in a thread that in 4 years old...:rolleyes:). If you had actually read through the 4 year old thread, you might have seen this and not made an ass out of yourself.

4. Just by the odd chance that you actually return, you have received your one warning. Usually I believe in the 3 strikes your out rule, but you only get one...

Of course I doubt you will come back...
Get over yourself!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back