P-38 Mods (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lightning Guy

Master Sergeant
Apr 29, 2004
Here are some pictures of some of the ground attack modifications made to the P-38.

Attachments

• p-38_75mm_gondola.jpg
    p-38_75mm_gondola.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,340
  • p-38_75mm.jpg
    p-38_75mm.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • p-38_bombs.jpg
    p-38_bombs.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 2,740
The pic of the P-38 with bombs is the only one like it I have ever seen. It was supposed to have been a fairly common mod in the ETO and MTO.

Nice pictures LG! 8) I have seen that picture of the bomb arrangement several times before. The cockpit of the 75mm cannon Ground Attack one looks a bit like that of the Messerschmitt Me-410.

Did they ever get around to building a 75mm cannon equipped P-38?

I noticed the nosewheel lays on its side too. The Me-262 version with the 50mm cannon had to do that as well.

It was never built. As a matter of fact, Kelly Johnson wasn't even aware that the design had even been attempted until he was informed of it by author Warren Bodie.

So? Uknown model for P-38? Was wondering that first picture look like P-38L?

Yeah welcome back mate! 8) Everyone is making a comeback! ;)

That certainly appears to be an L yes Rafe, the chin radiators seem to give it away as the appear to be slightly narrower on the J and less prominent on earlier models...

Hi guys! It's been a while! :)

Thanks for the answer, Cheddar Cheese :)

BTW, You guys sigs are awesome. :)

Well, Where the heck I been? lol

I have been doing alot things (Like Sugery, College, Life) that kept me off the internet for little while and right now, I'm so back because I have alot good free time around here. So, It's good to be back, CC. :) Thanks for asking. :)

I have heard that someone hade a idea of suggest a modification to the P-38 by replace those 2 Allisons-engins whit Rolls-Royce instead. Like similare whit the P-51 Mustag whitc created a greate succesfull plane. But the idea of Rolls-Royce powered P-38 did never build, I wonder why they newer tested that idea and I also wonder what performance it could have. :rolleyes:

They did test the P-38 with Merlins, I think, but found the performance to not be greatly enhanced.

One way to find how the Merlin-powered P-38 could theoretical have performed is to look at the P-51 Mustang. The P-51 in early version had the Allison-engine and later it then convert whit the Merlin-engine, could someone tell what difference had those 2 version of Mustang have for performance. Would that help us give a hint of how Merlin-engined P-38 would be?

No because (don't quote me on this) I think the Allisons in the P-38 were super-charged, those on the P-51 were not. The Merlin was super-charged, two stage, I believe..that's why it was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back