P-38 Thunder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So who had the "double" idea first?
- North American F-82 Twin Mustang
- Messerschmitt Me 609
- Lockheed Thunder
- Others?

You sure that's not a late April fool joke ?

With the wing spars going right thru that part of the nacelles, all the piping for the coolant, the exhaust to the turbo, AND the return ductwork from the turbo. I just don't see how you could put a pilot where all this other equipment has to go.

Plus, where's the nose gear???

Last edited:
You sure that's not a late April fool joke ?
Good one, but ... a couple days late.

And the pilots/canopies are scaled down. P-38 nacelles are pretty tight and narrower than the center gondola's cockpit section.

On a slightly serious note, the P-40 would be a better basis for that sort of configuration.

HAS to be a fake. Otherwise how would you ever get the exhaust to the turbocharger? Having worked on several P-38's I can tell you there is a LOT of stuff where the cockpit is located above.

The pilot's butt and the main gear will occupy the same space, too.

But it's a pretty good fake, isn't it?

I think it was from deviantart, but merely posted it when I stumbled across it. Too good a job to pass up.

A torpedo without rudder? It seems something else generally used for medicament, rather than a weapon.....

Last edited:

Yes, to be used to replenish the beer provision to U.S. garrisons in the most remote Pacific Islands, even the tiniest without a landing strip: all you have to do is to launch the torpedo keg.

Technology goes on in comparison to those coarse barrels under the Spit wings.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread