P-38 Thunder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
OK, you've heard of the P-38 Lightning, but have you ever heard of the Thunder?

P38 Thunder.jpg

Never made it into squadron service, though ...

So who had the "double" idea first?
- North American F-82 Twin Mustang
- Messerschmitt Me 609
- Lockheed Thunder
- Others?

You sure that's not a late April fool joke ?

With the wing spars going right thru that part of the nacelles, all the piping for the coolant, the exhaust to the turbo, AND the return ductwork from the turbo. I just don't see how you could put a pilot where all this other equipment has to go.

Plus, where's the nose gear???

Last edited:
You sure that's not a late April fool joke ?
Good one, but ... a couple days late.

With the wing spars going right thru that part of the nacelles, all the piping for the coolant, the exhaust to the turbo, AND the return ductwork from the turbo. I just don't see how you could put a pilot where all this other equipment has to go.

Plus, where's the nose gear???
And the pilots/canopies are scaled down. P-38 nacelles are pretty tight and narrower than the center gondola's cockpit section.

On a slightly serious note, the P-40 would be a better basis for that sort of configuration.

HAS to be a fake. Otherwise how would you ever get the exhaust to the turbocharger? Having worked on several P-38's I can tell you there is a LOT of stuff where the cockpit is located above.

The pilot's butt and the main gear will occupy the same space, too.

But it's a pretty good fake, isn't it?

I think it was from deviantart, but merely posted it when I stumbled across it. Too good a job to pass up.

A torpedo without rudder? It seems something else generally used for medicament, rather than a weapon.....

Last edited:
0ITIKvd.jpg

Yes, to be used to replenish the beer provision to U.S. garrisons in the most remote Pacific Islands, even the tiniest without a landing strip: all you have to do is to launch the torpedo keg.

Technology goes on in comparison to those coarse barrels under the Spit wings.....

Last edited:
Let me throw-in the He 111Z, apparantly first flew in 42/43. Not a fighter though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back