P-38 Would Be Proud

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I can add my two cents, I think a simple acknowledgement would be enough. If it were in the form of a simple public apology, then so be it. "We're sorry, yadda, yadda...Now lets all move on."

What I don't agree with is when present-day governments feel that they must continue to pay for the actions of past generations. Take for example the Canadian government compensating Chinese-Canadians for the old "head tax" imposed on Chinese immigrants at the turn of the last century. :rolleyes:

Nope. I can't say I agree with that one bit. Where the hell does something like that end? No, verbal acknowledgement of a mistake or a misdeed is one thing, but financial compensation a century after the fact to people who weren't even there is a bit much in my book.

Now back to the UK thing. ;)

Maestro said:
Well, knowing that the GG has a salary of $200,000 a year and that the LG has approximately the same salary and knowing that there is 10 Provinces within the Confederation...

200,000 X 10 = 2,000,000
2,000,000 + 200,000 = 2,200,000

We would save at least $2,200,000 by years. (And I'm not counting all the travels, parties/ceremonies and other things.)

Knowing that our National debt is approximately $626,217,000,000, it would take us approximately 284644 years to completly pay for it.

So yes, I think we would vote to kick the GG/GLs out.
I totally agree. We don't need any of them. The worst to date was Adrienne Clarkson. "Sponge" don't even begin to describe it. :rolleyes:

Although I understand the reasoning behind why we have these people today, I don't actually agree with it myself. Out of all the needless waste in Canada today, these completely useless ceremonial posts must rank at the very top of the list. Do away with 'em!

Nonskimmer said:
If I can add my two cents, I think a simple acknowledgement would be enough. If it were in the form of a simple public apology, then so be it. "We're sorry, yadda, yadda...Now lets all move on."

What I don't agree with is when present-day governments feel that they must continue to pay for the actions of past generations. Take for example the Canadian government compensating Chinese-Canadians for the old "head tax" imposed on Chinese immigrants at the turn of the last century. :rolleyes:

Nope. I can't say I agree with that one bit. Where the hell does something like that end? No, verbal acknowledgement of a mistake or a misdeed is one thing, but financial compensation a century after the fact to people who weren't even there is a bit much in my book.

Now back to the UK thing. ;)

One thing I'm glad that the U.S. has never done and hopefully never will: reparations for slavery. It's still a debate here! It's exactly like you say, NS, why should one group who wasn't there financially compensate another group who wasn't there? God bless America for the sense enough to throw that idea out the window!

Well logically it seems correct but it should be done right after the abandon of slavery... But that were absoljtely different times though...

Well, I take Lanc's view on this one, what's the point? I live in Bristol, which of course has a less than illustrious past where the slave trade is concerned.

In fact the whole blinking city was built off the back of it, so what are we going to do? Demolish the place?

It happened, I'd be the first to say it was a bad thing, but we don't have a time machine to change history, so we're stuck with it and there it is. Wringing our hands about long past events is futile.

What is important is that everything is properly documented and recorded so that the same mistakes are not repeated by future generations, and is much much more important than some 'apology'.

For what it's worth, my Great-Grandfather was a corporal during the Boer War, and we have various heirlooms from his time there. From the accounts of him I've been told, he was a good man, and went on to become an officer in the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade, which would suggest that he was more into saving lives than ending them.

With regard to the Boer War, whatever the political and economic reasons behind it, he went out there and did his duty - just in the same way guys in Iraq are doing today.

I certantly would not express any other sentiment than pride in him, and my only regret is that I didn't get to meet the guy. And on another note, couldn't it be argued that 'Oom Paul' and his brethern had no more valid cause being there than the 'Roodtneks' did?

Well here is my take on the fact, and I have said this several times over and over. I dont fell any present population or anything should have to apologize for what there country did in the past. Thats like telling a 10 year old girl that she is responsible for the innocent massacre of civilians 50 years before she was born. Screw that!

I agree. The problem is that the WW2 issue is still actual and it affects our lives to this day...
But I think the Deutschen made a lot of to apologize. Last Fall I made a good friend in a German guy who cam from Köln and he served here 6 Months for the old Jewish survivors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back