Maestro said:
Well, we are ruled by a Prime Minister. But legally, if ever something hapened to the gouvernment leaders (example : a bomb explode in the Parliment and kills 50% of the politicians), then the GG would take the power and rule the country until next elections.
Either the deputy prime minister would assume leadership or at the worst, the GG would appoint a senior minister to lead until parliament could get it's shit together and an election could be called. That's the absolute extent of his/her power. That provision is only there for times of extreme emergency, and then only if the situation absolutely dictates it.The Governor General is a figurehead, nothing more.
But it
does bother me that she's the ceremonial C in C of the Armed Forces. That blows, figurehead or not.

And the annual "Throne Speech" from the Governor General of Canada? Pfffff! Please! What nonsense.
Maestro said:
I also remember hearing the "God Save The Queen" being played right after the "O Canada"... It happened several times.
I understand, and I sympathize to a large extent. I'm not really big on that either, to be honest. It still occurs sometimes though, usually dependent on the event and the crowd. A lot of old folks still like to hear it that way. They do it at the Royal Canadian Legion and several other veterans groups still do it too. They fought for king and country, so I have nothing against them for doing it.
Then there's always the Vice-Regal Salute to the Governor General. It's a combination of God Save the Queen and O Canada. Personally I think it sounds foolish, but that's just me.
You'd be surprised though at how many people in this country don't realize that O Canada has only officially been our national anthem since 1980. We'd sung it for a hundred years before that, but it wasn't actually made "official" until '80. Huh. Weird or what?
Maestro said:
And why do we still call her "Queen of Canada" ?
Again, it's just a tradition that we cling to. We've been wholey and truly independent from Britain for many years, but as a people in general we still take a great deal of pride in our history. At least the "English" parts of the country do anyway.

Today, calling Elizabeth II our queen is merely a tradition. It means nothing at all in the practical sense. I'm actually not too bothered by it. I know it's completely meaningless aside from tradition.
Maestro said:
For all those reasons, we have to choose : are we still a British colony or are we an independent country ? Why should we keep such symbols anyway ?
We're an independent country. We threw off the last real remaining vestiges of British influence in 1982, with the signing of the Constitution of Canada by the very same Queen Elizabeth II. The symbols of "Royal" this and that are, as I've said, merely a ceremonial link with our past. Aside from that, they mean absolutely nothing. Why do we cling to them? Just choice I guess. It'd be interesting to see the results of a nation wide referendum on the subject, like the one Australia had years ago. Ha! I think I can guess how Québec would vote.
