P-40 vs. Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Especially when using Credit Cards, band accounts or buying those supposadly "cheap" things online. Also never sign up for websites that supposadly only charge you once without reading the fine print. I have been cought paying for 2 years before because I did not.
Agreed Alder. Ouch!

Well...it will be worth noting that the Russians liked neither!!!!!! and came to love the little P-39. I think the P-40 vs Hurricane issue is a matter of who was fighting who and the time frame, tactics and context of the air operations.

Tommy Enfield said:
Well...it will be worth noting that the Russians liked neither!!!!!! and came to love the little P-39. I think the P-40 vs Hurricane issue is a matter of who was fighting who and the time frame, tactics and context of the air operations.

I agree with my latino bretheren but I must add its also the varaint of each of the planes. While not familiar with all of the different Mks of the Hurricane, once Curtiss introduced the Kittyhawk variants, the performance of the P-40 rose dramiatically, especially, like it has been said before the N versions of the Kittyhawk. Just as a measuring stick, the Japanese rated the P-40 as the best US fighter below 10,000 feet. I wonder how they rated the Hurricane. On the other hand, while I know that P-40s at different times were launched off carriers, there were carrier based versions of the Hurricane, which made it more versitile in this department.

:{)

I think that both aircraft were great for there time but I think the edge goes to the Hurricane. Personally I think this will just go down as personally bias for each person.

I agree. Its just that to me, the Hurricane seems to be the more versatile, more adaptive and more competent fighter. Lets not forget how easy they were to maintain also.

Good points on both sides - I think it's going to be based a lot on personal bias, although the cannon armed hurricane had an edge in firepower, if the P-40s strong points were able to be exploited during combat, I think I would roll with the P-40......

Agreed on all of the above. Nevertheless one must admit that the P-40 had a much better press agent.

"Shark" squadron's P-51s didn't look half bad either.

Attachments

• 112_sqn_mustang_iv__ga-s__130.jpg
    112_sqn_mustang_iv__ga-s__130.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 356
plan_D said:
"Shark" squadron's P-51s didn't look half bad either.

Couldn't find in a flash, but there is a great photograph of Tex Hill getting into a P-51B or C and it has a grat shark mouth on it. Also the P-40s from the Alutians, I think led by Chennault's son, had the Eskimo shark icons on thier cowls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back