P-40

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice shots Paul, I like the colour photo showing how dirty some of these aircraft got. BTW, the RAAF Kittyhawk "Come in suckers" (4th last photo) is airworthy with the Vintage wings of Canada painted as Stock Edwards DAF bird.

Nice shots Paul, I like the colour photo showing how dirty some of these aircraft got. BTW, the RAAF Kittyhawk "Come in suckers" (4th last photo) is airworthy with the Vintage wings of Canada painted as Stock Edwards DAF bird.

Sweet Andy didn't know that about that one and thanks :)

Well here is a unusual one, Australian P-40R with mustang wings and landing gear?

13528821_1097916703607181_696659369310104807_n.jpg

.....from Monographie Lotniczie No. 65, "Curtis P-40 Pt.2", printed by AJ Press....

"In 1944 due to lack of spare parts for engines Merlin was intended to rebuild the 600 pieces of P-40L and P-40F on a variant of the P-40R-1 and P-40R-2, equipped with an engine Allison V-1710-1781 (F20R). Among them, only known number seventy P-40R-1 and 52 P-40R-2." The book also gives all the serial numbers for the two models and has 2 photos, one of each version

P.S. I copied this using Google Translate and tried to correct it the best I could

Well here is a unusual one, Australian P-40R with mustang wings and landing gear?
/QUOTE]

Yep - the one and only Kittystang belongs to the Australian Aircraft Restoration Group (appropriately known as the AAAAARG or sandpit) located at Moorabin Airport in Victoria, Aus. It is held together with agricultural hardware.

This is a terrific selection of photos, most of which are new to me. FYI, the P-40F Y34 in one of the shots was almost certainly the plane flown by Lt Richard Duffy of the 314th FS/324th FG when he shot down five Ju-52 transports on 18 April 1943 off Cape Bon, Tunisia, to earn the rare status of "ace in a day." I would love to know the source this and the other 314th FS photos.

This is a terrific selection of photos, most of which are new to me. FYI, the P-40F Y34 in one of the shots was almost certainly the plane flown by Lt Richard Duffy of the 314th FS/324th FG when he shot down five Ju-52 transports on 18 April 1943 off Cape Bon, Tunisia, to earn the rare status of "ace in a day." I would love to know the source this and the other 314th FS photos.

Morning Carl, they come from a variety of sources, some from Facebook web pages, some from the Fold3 library, some from life gallery, some from Google, ebay, other message boards. Web pages come and gone. Every time I see something of interest I save the picture on a hard drive. I have a few gig of stuff saved of different things from airplane manuals to declassified documents for squadrons, army's and who knows all what. More then I have time to read that's for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back