Soren said, "No you miss-undertsood me, as you thought I was implying that an 170hp increase in engine power was hard to accomplish."
Whether or not you intended to, you did imply that Soren. You said, "It certainly wasnt impossible to tweak them that much, but it would be very rare."
You said that in response to my saying, "I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the mechanics in the field had tweaked the R-2800 engines of some late war "D" model Thunderbolts. The engines were rated at 2,530hp at WEP but were developing about 2,700 horsepower as a result."
When you said, "that much" you were clearly referring to the additional 170hp represented by an increase from 2,530 to 2,700. What other reasonable meaning could you possibly have implied?
Then you, in the same response, continued with "but it would be very rare." By this, you clearly implied that while it was possible to go "that much" from 2,530 to 2,700hp, "it would be very rare." Hence, it would be possible but very rare to see "that much" of an increase in horsepower.
When I said, "It was my understanding as well that such "tweaking" was commonplace. " I was referring to the "tweaking" I had earlier referenced (which is why I set it out in in quotes) which was a tweaking resulting in a 170hp increase in the later "D" model Thunderbolt.
It was only later that you finally pointed out that "The 170hp increase in engine-power was easely possible for a good mech, no problem there."