Painting coloured rings on bombs neatly.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
I'm not a super modeller but one of my biggest bug-bear has to be painting neat
circles on the nose of bombs! I've tried the masking tape way but there is always
an edge of the masking tape that crinkles so you can't get a nice edge.

Well I came up with a simple idea of making a balsa wood frame for the bomb to sit
in and the bomb can be rotated easily, also don't try and use paint and a brush but
use a paint pen instead and start at the bottom of the bomb rotating the bomb fairly
quickly until you reach the other side. I'm now sold with this cheap but efficient method
of painting any such lines on any bombs,Just painted some 18 bombs and was a pleasure.

modelroom002_zpsc887fe83.gif

modelroom001_zpsc6399aa3.gif

modelroom003_zps2cfdb19d.gif

Interested in the paint pens Ian, as I would have a use for them for other things. Are they acrylic or enamel, and how fine is the point? Also, can I assume they are available in black and white and, if so, where from?
I haven't seen any locally for ages, and they could solve a problem of outlining numbers, now that my hands haven't got the precise control they once had for using a lining brush at awkward angles!

Interested in the paint pens Ian, as I would have a use for them for other things. Are they acrylic or enamel, and how fine is the point? Also, can I assume they are available in black and white and, if so, where from?
I haven't seen any locally for ages, and they could solve a problem of outlining numbers, now that my hands haven't got the precise control they once had for using a lining brush at awkward angles!
Hi Terry,

The pens are acrylic and are great to use, you have to press the nib very gently to allow the paint to flow
to the nib and your away and the results are great everytime, if you cok up simply wipe off and try again.

The pens are called 'Uni Posca' and come in loads of colours including silver gold.
I reckon you can draw a fine line of less than 0.5mm they are that good.

I get my paint pens off Ebay but you could also get them from STAPLES.

uni posca | eBay

POSCA MARKER PENS PC-1MR by Uni-Ball FULL Range Available | eBay

I did this yellow line on a 1/72nd Lightning canopy with an ultra fine pen, not a decal mind you,
the idea's to there use is endless, even doing the explosive zig zags you see on modern fighters is possible....

victor1004.gif

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Terry, you should be able to find them at any art supply store and they come in many different colors though mostly just the primary colors. I also use the permanent felt tip markers which also come in lots of colors. Around the holidays you can easily find metalic colors like gold and silver

Attachments

• aluminium_barrel_normal_paint_marker.jpg
    aluminium_barrel_normal_paint_marker.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the info Ian and Mike, I'll have a look for some - could be very useful for lettering in awkward places.
I've used a silver and a black paint pen, by 'Uni', which are supposedly fine line, and do have a very fine tip - but the paint spreads when used, which rather defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
I've used a silver and a black paint pen, by 'Uni', which are supposedly fine line, and do have a very fine tip - but the paint spreads when used, which rather defeats the purpose.

You need to know how to 'work' the pen Terry! A few light press's to allow the paint to flow,
then when it flows wipe off the excess on some paper towel, then do what ever you need to
do 'without pressing' the nib, when the paint goes on less just repeat by pressing the nib and
dabbing up the excess paint and start again. I've painted writing on bombs with success.

Uh uh! These pens I have just spread if they even touch a surface!
I'm used to using all sorts of pen types, including Rotring drafting pens, which are precise, but the ones I mentioned are more for farting about making decorative writing on cards and invitations etc. When I've used them, I do exactly as you describe, which is 'standard practice' with most pens of this type. But, the ones you are using sound much better, so I'll see if I can find any locally. Haven't got a 'Staples' nearby, but there is a 'Ryman's' (what used to be Partner's), so maybe they'll have them - my local art store (not as good as it used to be) doesn't have fine-line versions, unfortunately, which is why I haven' bothered trying to use a pen for a few years.
Failing that, I could try thinned paint in one of my Rotrings I suppose .....

After some research I've found that no RAF bombs had a yellow band on the nose
so it seems Tamiya have got it wrong on their painting instructions, Heres a list of
RAF bombs and a guide to the correct colours.

4,000lb Cookie - Green and Red bands - pair of bands on each end.

1,000lb bomb - Red and Green band - [red band near fuse then light green band where my yellow band is]

250lb medium capacity bomb - Red and Green band - [red band near fuse then light green band where my yellow band is]

500lb Medium Capacity Bomb - Red Green band - [red band near fuse then light green band where my yellow band is]

500lb Semi Armour Piercing bomb - White Red band - both close together near fuse - light green band further towards the centre of the bomb.

2,000lb Armour Piercing bomb - White Red White band. [no other coloured bands]

250lb Semi Armour Piercing bomb - Red Green band - [red band near fuse then light green band where my yellow band is]

250lb Anti-Submarine Mine - Red band on nose near fuse - no other coloured bands.

I never know bombs/mines had an expiry date!

Repainted the nose again and re-painted all my bombs, using the Uni pens.

bomb001_zpse59660b7.gif

Yep, the yellow bands were used by the USAAF though, but RAF and RN have always used, and still use, the colours designating type of ordnance and explosive type, from grenades upwards. Many model manufacturers, and Tamiya in particular, often get detail painting instructions (and some major painting instructions!) wrong.

Terry, I started using them (silver) to paint the metal framing in cockpit canopys. Once "painted" I dipped the entire canopy into pure Future with no problems. I also used a yellow permanent marker fine tip to do the yellow rings around those German bombs Rochie sent me a while back, if you recall.

Thanks Mike. When I have the time, I'll experiment. Just being cautious, as most 'permanent' pens are spirit based - they'll resist such things as future, but if sprayed with an enamel-based varnish, thinned, then they can 'spread'. I only need them for doing fine white, or black outlines around numbers or letters, anything else I can normally paint freehand, with a 000 brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back