painting problem

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

halfpint33

Recruit
Feb 13, 2011
On my second airplane build,a tamiya ZERO,and have had the same problem on both kits.How to paint the fuselage without getting paint into the cockpit?I mask off the cockpit but then I'm left with an area that I have to brush paint on the fuselage.Any help would be appreciated.

You pretty much have to cut the tape so it fits just the cockpit. The easiest way to do this would be to lay tape horizontally over the cockpit, then run your knife along the edges of the cockpit and it should cut the tape to the right shape.

What I have done is use toilet paper to fill the spaces. Take about 6 squares at a time in your left hand, wet your right hand under the faucet and scrunch the TP dampening it. You just want it manageable not soaking. Tear off what you might need for a wheel well test first, something without the fiddly bits like seat belts and gun sights. Tease the paper into the corners and little areas with a pin. You will find it doesn't have to be Forced into the cavity, it can be loose, you are just trying to protect the area you don't want painted, not trying to make a mold, if you get my drift? When it begins to dry it will take the shape of the cavity and will not fall out. It will be light enough to pull out with tweezers and not harm the inside. It works for me. You may have little points to touch up, but not huge areas. Bill

Thanks for the tips.I'll give them both a shot and see which I like best.I used Silly Putty in the wheel wells and that worked great.No overspray at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back