Pearl Harbor: Japanese Aviators Dressed as Civilians

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Ran across an article in the sunday Tacoma News Tribune entitled Pearl Harbor Survivors Remember the Day, by Jeffrey P. Mayor.

In the article Jeffrey interviews George Neagle who at the time was serving on the USS Curtis, a Navy Seaplane Tender. I quote some of his interview below.

"We were right across from Ford Island and right next to a hospital ship".

Neagle was up drinking coffee when the Japanese surprise attack began shorly before 0800. Reporting to his battle station on the bridge, Neagle soon was racing to and fro, delivering messages for the captain and returning details on damage. The seaplane tender was first hit by a Japanese dive bomber that crashed on the ship's stern after being hit by American anti-aircraft fire.

"The [Japanese] pilot had a University of Hawaii ring on and civilian clothes underneath his flight suit," Neagle said.

The USS Curtis was hit by two more 250kg bombs which left the ship's bow slipping into the harbor's waters and 21 of the crew dead.

Does anyone have any information on Japanese pilots dressed as civilians? Did Mr. Neagle perhaps misremember the incident and inadvertantly insert a ship rumour into his account? And if true, was this intended for escape and evasion purposes? Is there more evidence of this having occurred? Was this a single known incidence or was this part of the suprise attack planning and thus commonplace?

This is a picture from the Bureau of Ships Collection, National Archives. A Type 99 Val Dive Bomber is seen in the hangar wreckage with tail number A1-225 from the carrier Akagi. It destroyed an OS2U-2 Kingfisher floatplane. The last couple of pics show the damage from the 250kg bombs having blown out the hangar doors.

Attachments

• curtis1.jpg
    curtis1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 191
  • curtis2.jpg
    curtis2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 199
  • curtis3.jpg
    curtis3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 211
  • curtis4.jpg
    curtis4.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 189
  • curtis5.jpg
    curtis5.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 185
  • curtis7.jpg
    curtis7.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 194
  • curtis6.jpg
    curtis6.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I think the pilot was a real graduate of Hawaii University.
Civilian clothes was simply his favor.

Please see some photos here taken from
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-vmZYQeahk...

The guy of No.1 photo wears a hanging band. This could not have been an official supply.
That was his favor.
The guy of No.2 wears a blue muffler when the official color was always white.
The third one's is, OMG, PURPLE. These are totally incredible on the rule but not wrong.
Such private favor was allowed unofficially in the old navy.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 202
That's the part the bugs me, Shinpachi. I can't imagine the typical Japanese warrior going to war intent upon killing the enemy... dressing as the enemy. I don't mean to insult, Shipachi-san, but I have to say that frankly seems like bullshit to me. Everything that has been printed was that the Japanese warrior was proud to a fault. I can't imagine the ridicule (or worse) that a Japanese naval aviator would receive preparing for a surprise attack against a hated enemy and yet dressing as them being acceptable, condoned or even allowed on ship. Just as the US characterized Japanese warriors as "monkeys", "eyes too slanted to land on carriers" and other such nonsense, the Japanese were doing the same noting that US warriors were "barbarians", "simple" and "ruthless". Imagine a US naval aviator prepping for the Dolittle Tokyo Raid dressing in traditional Japanese clothing. That aviator would have been drummed out and sent to confinement in a heartbeat. Especially during such a highly secret and important operation as the Pearl Harbor attack.

Doesn't seem right by any stretch of my imagination. In fact, I honestly think that Mr. Neagle has confused a post attack ship rumour with memory (reality). I honestly don't believe that such a thing happened. A Hawaiian University ring stuffed in a pocket of a proud Japanese aviator recently returned to the homeland? Maybe. But full US civilian clothing blatantly displayed under his flight suit during operational preparations? Phhhttt... don't believe it.

Yet if it was a ruse that was meant for strategic purposes of escape/evasion (most likely) or perhaps additional behind enemy lines subterfuge/operations (NOT likely), perhaps I could buy into it. Just the first I have ever heard such a thing. And I can't believe some historian hasn't uncovered such a plot beforehand.

"The [Japanese] pilot had a University of Hawaii ring on and civilian clothes underneath his flight suit," Neagle said.
Matt, the quote here doesn't say anything about American civilian clothes. He could just as easily have been wearing Japanese civilian clothes, which I think is what Shinpachi was saying.
It doesn't sound at all that far-fetched to me.

You didn't read my post, B. I'm giving you a D and assigning you two chapters of history for a quiz tomorrow. ;)

Matt, the quote here doesn't say anything about American civilian clothes. He could just as easily have been wearing Japanese civilian clothes, which I think is what Shinpachi was saying.
It doesn't sound at all that far-fetched to me.

That is a good point and I note that might be what occurred in my post above. He might have been just a repatriated naval aviator that was schooled in the good ole USA.

... and Japanese civvie clothing? As acceptable attire on the Akagi with elite naval aviators striking for the Emperor? Really?

Just thinking a bit more about it, would an American Navy man know what Japanese Naval Aviators normally wore under their flight suits?
Could he have mistaken Japanese standard issue clothes as civilian, just because they weren't the colour/style that he was used to seeing? i.e. is you're used to seeing military uniforms as green, button-down shirts, and the Japanese issue was a white T-shirt for wear under the flight suit, could this have been seen as civvie clothing?

I'm going to stop thinking about this now. The more I think about it, the more possibilities that I come up with.

This is the first I'd ever hard of this and for some reason I would have thought it would have been widely talked about, esp if it appeared that he was wearing American clothes.

I guess that a formal IJN uniform with a tie might have looked a civilian clothes.

Thinking an extreme case.....If it had been Aloha(native Hawaiian's) shirt, he must have been born in Hawaii originally but would have been allowed to wear it within his unit unofficially as it belonged to his private favor.

First of all, the rank for the university graduates was always high in the navy.
There were few who could complain about an officer's favor.

If he should have been a spy, he would have landed Hawaii by submarine.

PS: I have ever heard that Aloha shirt was originally made from the Kimono cloth which Japanese
immigrants brought into Hawaii to recycle.

Attachments

• 5e009a_1.jpg
    5e009a_1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Last edited:
I've heard the same thing. As the story goes, a Japanese fighter landed out of fuel at Wheeler field. In the cockpit was found a top hat and cane. His ID was under the name Odd Jobb! cheers, Bill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back