Pearl Harbor: Japanese Aviators Dressed as Civilians

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've heard the same thing. As the story goes, a Japanese airman landed out of fuel at Wheeler field. In the cocpit was found a top hat and cane.
His ID was under the name Odd Jobb! cheers, Bill

Sounds like somebody has been reading/seeing too many Ian Fleming novels/movies.

Nice find, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard the same thing. As the story goes, a Japanese airman landed out of fuel at Wheeler field. In the cocpit was found a top hat and cane. His ID was under the name Odd Jobb! cheers, Bill

another post like that Ftard and you are gone.

I've heard the same thing. As the story goes, a Japanese airman landed out of fuel at Wheeler field. In the cocpit was found a top hat and cane. His ID was under the name Odd Jobb! cheers, Bill

Japanese teenager's fashion in 1942.
Their sense was totally different from ours today.

Oh, you are welcome, piet.

Attachments

• wakamono.JPG
    wakamono.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 91
Hmmm...'nother thought: what if he was SUPPOSED to be found wearing civilian clothes? What if that ship was designated as a "please don't bomb this one too much, one of our guys is supposed to crash into it" boat....and (provided the pilot survived) he was supposed to spread the story that they were landing intelligence agents or saboteurs in civilian clothes? How badly would the panic have spread, had that story gotten out? Would've cramped the Army a bit had they been tasked to police off 80% of the population of the island chain!

The ring is quite plausible to me, though...a lot of their military leaders were educated in the West. Yamamoto spent a lot of time in the US before being posted back to Japan and planning the Pearl Harbor attack.

Yeah the ring is the most plausible. But overtly wearing it with civvie clothes does not seem to be. At least in my eyes.

I'm thinking rumour interfering with Mr. Neagle's memory. I bet the rumours were rampant post Pearl. And I bet they were all over the map. Hell, in the interveiw, another sailor related that they were so concerned about an invasion that they climbed a "water" tower. Another military person had thrown them a Garand with no ammmo, but it had a bayonet. This sailor and another mate climbed the tower preparing to bayonet any Japanese that attempted to confront them. Only when other US sailors/soldiers convinced them to come down did they realize that they were hiding on the outside of a large gasoline/fuel tower. This sailor noted that upon recognition of the tower's contents, "they got the hell out of there".

Funny now. But I'm sure not so much then.

The ring is quite plausible to me, though...a lot of their military leaders were educated in the West. Yamamoto spent a lot of time in the US before being posted back to Japan and planning the Pearl Harbor attack.

There were quite a few Japanese leaders that were American educated...

Admiral Yamamoto studied at both the U.S. Naval War College and Harvard University, Admiral Nagano studied at Harvard Law school.

I have read a book - Testimony collection about the attack on Pearl Harbor published by Kohjin-sya.
28 former IJN pilots, vessel(inculdes submarine) officers, diplomats and press corresspondents
wrote their experiences on the day. The former IJN pilots are counted up as many as 15.

Nothing comes up about the civillian clothes except a confession by an ex-spy in Honolulu.
He(30yo then) was a navy officer but pretended a diplomat with his long civillian-look hairs staying at the Japan consulate general.

He checked the number of US navy vessels in the Pearl Harbor twice a day just before the attack.
He writes that he reported Tokyo there were no aircraft-carriers in the harbor 12 hours before the attack.

Attachments

• DSCF2982S.JPG
    DSCF2982S.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
This might not be related, but I just saw on the History Channel that the U.S. found a map on the captured midget submarine that showed where a "safe house" was located on Oahu. Having a civilian suit would be helpful if you are trying to avoid escape.

Having said that, I believe what someone else said, that the plot was just wearing his normal clothes on under his flight suit and these were taken to be civilian attire.

Not sure if we are ever going to solve this. But it still begs the question of why? E&E I can accept. But if not typical or part of the operation, than it makes one wonder if it really occurred at all (no offense meant to Mr. Neagle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back