Phantom FG.1 and FGR.2 Differences (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, great info, thanks.
At the time, I was a civilian (ex - Para) working for a major international photographic manufacturer.
I spent two airshow seasons, plus a few other days, making an audio-visual presentation on the BBMF, which opened with a brief introduction of the base, and the Phantoms operating from it, which, of course, involved taking a lot of different photos of the Phantoms, including a staged 'scramble'. The latter was done on the ramp, with a crew running to the aircraft (and you can guess the language they threw in my direction !), and then another pair turning on to the active and taking off, photographed from the old Chance light hard-standing at the runway threshold.
Between sorties with the BBMF, Paul Day, then a Sqn Ldr QFI, showed me around one of the Phantoms in the BBMF hangar, destined for the Falklands, I think due to go the following day. That's when the 'zap' was applied, from memory just in front of, and slightly above, the retractable step.
As you say, it was probably removed, if only to prevent FOD, and I doubt it would have survived in the airflow anyway.
I've since found another sticker, and as soon as I get my new replacement scanner installed, I'll scan and post it here. Bit slow with the installation, as I'm knackered with rheumatoid arthritis these days, and it's playing up a bit at the moment.
From memory, there was a Terry on the BBMF ground crew at that time - I'd have to check my notes to confirm.

Hi, great info, thanks.
At the time, I was a civilian (ex - Para) working for a major international photographic manufacturer.
I spent two airshow seasons, plus a few other days, making an audio-visual presentation on the BBMF, which opened with a brief introduction of the base, and the Phantoms operating from it, which, of course, involved taking a lot of different photos of the Phantoms, including a staged 'scramble'. The latter was done on the ramp, with a crew running to the aircraft (and you can guess the language they threw in my direction !), and then another pair turning on to the active and taking off, photographed from the old Chance light hard-standing at the runway threshold.
Between sorties with the BBMF, Paul Day, then a Sqn Ldr QFI, showed me around one of the Phantoms in the BBMF hangar, destined for the Falklands, I think due to go the following day. That's when the 'zap' was applied, from memory just in front of, and slightly above, the retractable step.
As you say, it was probably removed, if only to prevent FOD, and I doubt it would have survived in the airflow anyway.
I've since found another sticker, and as soon as I get my new replacement scanner installed, I'll scan and post it here. Bit slow with the installation, as I'm knackered with rheumatoid arthritis these days, and it's playing up a bit at the moment.
From memory, there was a Terry on the BBMF ground crew at that time - I'd have to check my notes to confirm.
They were great days at C in the early '80s, many summer Friday afternoons outside he NAAFI/pub watching BBMF zip around he airfield prior to leaving for a weekends display. With no weekend flying on the squadron and with just the Spits and Hurricane in the air you could easily have been in the 1940's. I remember Paul Day, and on occasion had to pop across from 29 to BBMF to swop out a Radio set that had failed on a Spit. Can genuinely say when someone mentions my age that I worked on Spitfires! :)

I was on QRA with 29 a few times and seem to remember an occasion such as you describe, don't suppose you still have access to the photos and the AV. Would make very interesting viewing.

Rick

2011-04-18_37.JPG
Yep, still got all the 35mm slides in the AV, with the soundtrack on cassette - that's one of those small, plastic things with tape inside, for those born after 1990 !!!
I'd like to convert the show to a digital system, but haven't a clue how to do it using the original sound track. Also, scanning the 35mm transparencies would be a big job, as each one would have to be taken out of the glass mounts used in the projectors (it was a twin projector show), scanned on a not very good slide scanner, and then re-mounted in the glass mounts.
I might try to select a few decent shots, and see what they come out like, although they will lose a lot in quality and resolution.
The pics below are from the 'scramble' sequence, and one of a typical landing (controlled crash !), again, losing quality after being scanned.
EDIT:- Not keen on the new photo-upload system. I posted the 'grey' Phantom once, and it's showing twice, and I adjusted the other pic, and now it's showing at the top of the post !
2011-04-18_38.JPG
2011-04-18_38.JPG

Last edited:
I decided it was just as easy to photograph the 'zap'sticker, so here's a pic of the rather worn and battered Jodel Club sticker.
Diameter is 90 mm, and it sticks like sh*t to a blanket !
DSCF0005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back