Pic's of the Tabby ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Does anyone have pic's of the Japanese version of the DC-3, known as the
Tabby ? I want to build a DC-3 and convert it to the Japanese transport.
I'm looking for pic's showing unit markings, color schemes, etc.

Thanks.....

Charles

All I have found so far.

WINGS PALETTE - Douglas DC-1/DC-2/DC-3/C-47/C-53/Dakota/Li-2 Cab - Japan

WINGS PALETTE - Douglas DC-1/DC-2/DC-3/C-47/C-53/Dakota/Li-2 Cab - Japan

Na_L2D.jpg

Na_L2D3-2.jpg

l2d-i.jpg

The modeling underdog: DC-3 with a twist. (Part 1)

The modeling underdog: DC-3 with a twist. (Part 2)

The modeling underdog: DC-3 with a twist. (Part 3 and the grand finale)

L2D2 Tabby - 1/200 Hasegawa @ Plastikowe.pl - redukcyjne modelarstwo plastikowe

Some quick finds.

Attachments

• Na_L2D Tabby_4.jpg
    Na_L2D Tabby_4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Na_L2D Tabby profile.jpg
    Na_L2D Tabby profile.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Na_L2D Tabby_1.jpg
    Na_L2D Tabby_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Na_L2D Tabby_2.jpg
    Na_L2D Tabby_2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Na_L2D Tabby_3.jpg
    Na_L2D Tabby_3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 139
Thanks, Gnomey.... I can't go to those sites from the work computer. I'll
check them out tonight.

Also, thanks, Wojtek. They look pretty good. Anyone else ??

Charles

some more...

Attachments

• l2d-4 prototype.jpg
    l2d-4 prototype.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 117
  • l2d-1.jpg
    l2d-1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 127
  • l2d-2.jpg
    l2d-2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 104
  • l2d-3.jpg
    l2d-3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 122
Hi Charles,

I guess first a little history as Im not sure if all those pictures are DC-3's without closer inspection but more likely to be a combinaton of Dc-2's and Dd-3's with a mixture of engines. Japan only aquired 13 DC-3's with Cyclone engines and aquired another 7 Dc-3's with Twin Wasp engines before the war started but they also aquire a license for $80,000 to buld the Dc-2's. So far records show that they built only six Dc-2 so the total aircraft would only be 24 between the DC-3 and DC-2. The first Dc-2 was built with two wright Cyclone SGR-1820-F-2's and later re-engined with the SGR-1820-F52.

The DC-2 was erroneously thought to be used wide spread by the Japanese Navy and given the code name Tess.

I think if I where you I would find out the differences between the DC-3 and the DC-2. Should be a quick start for you and will see what else I can dig up.

Thanks, Eric....

Thanks, Paul. I will definately look into this. I thought there was much more
use of the "Tabby" by the Japanese, than you indicate.

Charles

I found this about the Tabby:

Between the years of 1939 to 1945, the Japanese are reported to have manufactured 487 L2D variants. The L2D is the Japanese specification for the DC-3 and DC-2. Built in two factories: Showa Hikoki, Koygo and Nakajima Hikoki, 416 were produced in Showa Hikoki. The Japanese L2D DC-3 variant was nicknamed "Tabby".

The First Japanese DC-3 was produced in September of 1939. The Japanese purchased manufacturing rights from Douglas on February 24th of 1938 for the sum of $90,000. Unkown to the US, was that this purchase was made under the direction of the Imperial Japanese Navy for use as a military transport. The L2D variants were fitted with a variety of Kinsei Engines ranging from (models 43 to 62) 1000hp, 1350hp and to 1560hp on the later wooden models.

Found more good info here, too: Douglas L2D

Charles

Interesting Charles,

I found this varient though no pictures yet that might make for an interesting model.

L2D4 and L2D4-1 were personnel and cargo transports fitted with a dorsal turrent housing a flexible 13mm type 2 machine gun. Type 2 hand held 7.7mm Type 92 that could be fired from fuselage hatches. Designated Navy Type 0 transport model 32 though it remainded experimental.

...of the wooden fuselage version in an aircraft graveyard at the end of the war in Gallagher's book "Broken Wings of the Samurai". Evidently it's a camera shy "bird" and was some what fabled. I would post picture if I had access to my books. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back