Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You gave me a hint, Geo
The dog Explosion was left together with other 2 Japanese dogs on the island but found out by the U.S. troops later.
John McCandless lived next to me in Jacksonville, Florida until he died of cancer in the early 1990's. He told me they captured their dog and made a pet out of it. They took them to a Nagasaki saw mill POW camp. He said he thought they escaped years later. The were running in the woods, looked up, and saw our planes flying overhead. He knew the war was over. When they got back, he bought a Hamilton watch in Lancaster, Pennsylvania with his back pay. He said he never knew what time it was. He showed me the POWS returning on a Victory at Sea video. He was 17 when he was captured and had been in the Navy almost three years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-150712.png
    435.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for sharing such an amazing story, Nick.
It was impossible for the Japanese authorities to grasp how many POWs survived or killed or ran away on August 9, 1945 when the new type bomb was dropped in Nagasaki to bring chaos.

My sincere condolences for John and his family.

A Burning American "Bunker Hill" aircraft carrier
Color photo of the Second World War: The American "Banker Hill" aircraft carrier (USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) burns after the strikes of two kamikaze planes in the Battle of Okinawa.
To the left of the Bunker Hill aircraft carrier is the light cruiser Cleveland (Cleveland CL-55).
http://albumwar2.com/burning-american-bunker-hill-aircraft-carrier/

Lt. General Matome Ugaki (1890-1945).
He is the last Kamikaze attacker to take responsibility as a commander flown in the evening of August 15, 1945 after the end of war was declared by the emperor. He was to be condemned as other 22 volunteers had followed him to die together.
5 survived because of engine trouble.

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5d/02/14/5d021411338992ab8321f5c0f008be80.jpg

Yukio Mishima (1925-1970), novelist.
He was unable to contribute to his country as an enlisted soldier during the wartime because of the weak constitution as class C.
Trained himself in the postwar to organize his own private army and die by harakiri performing a man in his value when the nation did not want him to do so anymore. He looked like a man who came late to me.

Mishima as a highschool sutdent circa 1943.

Mishima in his private army uniform(center) circa 1970.

Mishima in his narcissism in the 1960s.

Users who are viewing this thread