Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sakurada-tatsumi Turret of Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

桜田巽櫓_01.JPG

Sakurada-tatsumi Turret_2.jpg

http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/K/KIMONOdeKAIGAI/20150207/20150207012453.jpg

This is little known fact to modern Japanese if true as it had nothing to do with them anymore.

In South Korea in the 1950s, they seemed to have communicated with Americans through Japanese language.
I was surprised to see a SK movie "A Little Pond (2009)" which pictured the No Gun Ri Incident happened in 1950 because a Japanese-look(?) actor played a Japanese American as an interpreter. He spoke perfect Japanese.

I wonder if it was same for German Americans in the postwar Europe.

A Little Pond 2009_01.jpg
A Little Pond 2009_02.jpg

Source: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDIZYRHPEA

Japan accelerated metal recycling in 1943.
Cultural assets like old bells and statues were not exception.

Photo_weekly_255_01a.JPG
Photo_weekly_255_01b.JPG

Source: "Photo Weekly" January 20, 1943 issue

Bust of an equestrian statue of a feudal lord was remained by mercy.
Masamune_original.jpg

Source: 伊達政宗騎馬像 - ひーさんの散歩道

Newly casted in 1964 as the original molds were discovered.
伊達政宗の騎馬像01.jpg

Source: 小室達 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
A scene in Hong Kong on September 3, 2019.
It seems to be hard for a HK officer to identify who is an anti-government activist or an ordinary citizen in the bus.

This reminds me of the historic incident in Nanking in December, 1937. Chinese soldiers disguised civilians to cheat Japanese troops.
History may repeat when tactics is same.

Officers do their job like our soldiers did 77 years ago there.

Soviet attack aircraft Pegas Prototype July 21st 1943. same site

The Pegas was a World War II Soviet ground attack prototype aircraft built before the Battle of Kursk (1943), designed to destroy tanks and German vehicles, Dmitri Lyudvigovich Tomashevich was the chief designer on the Polikarpov I-180 fighter before the crash of the prototype, killing test pilot Valery Chkalov lead to Tomashevich being arrested and sent to a NKVD run Special Prison in January 1939, where he assisted Andrei Tupolev in the design of the Tupolev Tu-2.
In August 1941, Tomashevich was evacuated to Omsk in Siberia where he was put in charge of his own design bureau. In 1942, inspired by the success of the simple Polikarpov Po-2 biplane as a night ground-attack aircraft, Tomashyevich was authorised to design and build a simple ground attack aircraft that would be much more capable than the Po-2 but could be built at the same price.
The resulting design was a low winged monoplane with a fixed tail-wheel undercarriage, of wooden construction, with pine frames and birch plywood skins. The pilot sat in an open cockpit which was protected by mild-steel armour plating designed to withstand 12.7 mm (0.50 in) bullets. It was powered by two Shvetsov M-11F engines (the same powerplant used by the Po-2) and was armed with two 23 mm (0.906 in) cannon and a heavy machine gun in the nose, with the option of replacing the cannon by up to 500 kg (1,102.311 lb) of bombs. An optional jettison-able upper wing was tested on Pegas-01,
The first prototype made its maiden flight in late 1942, proving to be overweight and underpowered, although the aircraft's handling was acceptable. It was hoped to test one of the prototypes at the Kursk front, but the distance from Omsk to the front-line made that impractical, and development of the type was abandoned after four prototypes were built.

Pegas Prototype July 21st 1943.jpg

The VL Pyörremyrsky (Hurricane) was a Finnish fighter, designed by DI Torsti Verkkola at the State Aircraft Factory (Valtion lentokonetehdas) for service with the Finnish Air Force in World War II. The war ended before the type's first flight and only a prototype was built. Pyry PY-1 Prototype March 29th 1939.
Pyry PY-1 Prototype March 29th 1939..jpg
same site
Pyörremyrskyn prototype PM-1.jpg

Historical similarity.
Mobs say 7 of them were killed by the police like Japanese killed 300k in Nanking but they don't show any evidence.
Probably they need time to fabricate it like Chiang Kai-shek did in the postwar.
This looks their traditional tactics.

Shin ... I share your distaste of for some protestors tactics .... but in all this please be aware of the actions of PRC's agentes provocateurs .... this campaign is now a global war for hearts and minds .... both sides in this understand that.
The tactics of protest are what we see now/will see in Korea. Communists and those instilled in collectivist societies' cultures believe in the infallibility of a system ... everything is by the system ... The System knows no racial nor geographic boundaries ... envisage Karl Marx with an iPhone and social media. :-

I know well how you feel, MM as I don't support CCP either.

I only show how history repeats there in a Japanese viewpoint because they "protestors" seem to easily make up a story like their ancestors did for the western media. They also attack citizens who occupy as many as 60% of HK population simply because they don't support the riot. This would be a rare good chance to understand what they were and are.

Here is another historical similarity and would be no more.

Beijing praises the brave HK police as the guard of one China like Mao did Chiang's ROC.
Common philosophy between then and now would be "Let them fight each other till exhausted".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back