Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The limitation of the M1 carbine appeared when it was used as a rifle, which it was not (notably lack of stopping power at long range).
It purpose was to equip the troops that had to be armed but whose duty did not mandate the encumburance of a rifle and that were prior to its adoption only armed with a pistol. Within these limits, it feels the niche.

A WW2 member of a model club once told me of his post Normandy landing and going inshore with his M-1 rifle and replacing it with a Carbine at first opportunity. He was 5 ft 4 in tall and weighed 135 pounds. He carried the Carbine through V-E day.
I agree. Even a Colt Government was quite bigger for my hand in the US 40 years ago.
I remember its too heavy slide spring too.

Mitsubishi Ki-30 light bomber scale model drawings for the Japanese modellers in 1941.

Main material:
Bamboo strips (large/middle/small 900mm length each)
Japanese cypress (2x15x900mm for main spar/2x10x900 for sub spar/1.5x6x900 for thrust line stringer and tail plane spar)
Paulownia for tail gear
Magnolia for spinner and propeller
Cork for wheels (40mm dia. x2, 15mm x1)
Alminum tube(large, middle size) to connect wings, tail plane
Alminum wire (#16 or similar) for tail gear
Piano wire (#18 or similar) for main landing gear, rubber band hook
Celluloid plate (thickness about 0.3mm) for canopy
Silk thread to band each parts
Drawing paper for outer skin (a little thicker one is favorable)
Sandpaper for surface finish
Silk cloth for aileron and tail plane
Glue like Cemedine
Lacquer (light blue)
Thinner

Source: SKY (April 1941)

Cemedine glue then and now.
I did not know Cenedine is Japanese product.

Cemedine (prewar)

Cemedine (modern)

In my experience, Cemedine type C is not so quick as cyanoacrylates but not so slow as silicone type.

I see. Here in Poland the most known nitrocellulose adhesives are "Hermol 85" and AK-20. The Hermol can be used both for plastic, paper and wood. However the AK-20 is better for wood and being thinned also can be used as the impregnate. But there is a clear coat called Nitrocellon. It is of the same kind the AK-20 glue. All these adhesives are used widely for modelling. The Nitrocellon is used for wood protection and impregnating of what we call "japanese paper" - the very light skin for models. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about , my friend.

the pic source: the net.

I am not a scale modller, so please let me tell our general situation about the synthetic glues.
Cemedine type C was originally developed for the general purpose, including scale modelling, when there was no synthetic glues except British MENDINE in the 1920s. I also loved it when I was younger as it was convenient but have no chances to use it anymore as the cyanoacylates adhesive represented by Aron Alpha is quicker and stronger than type C but not satisfactory for cloth, wood, leather or paper as absorbed as well as synthetic plastics like PP/PE/PET as not sticky. On this point, Cemedine type C is still good for the cloth and wood, or paper, but water-based bond is much better for the purpose if you are not in a hurry. Konishi Bond offers several good adhesives for the leather and rubber. Scale modellers do not seem to use type C at least for plastic models but the dope cement type like Cemedine CA-216 or AX-243.

Last edited:
Grasped. Anyway , both the AK-20 and the Nitrocellon are the great adhesive and impregnant for a such model like the Mitsubishi Ki-30 light bomber posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread