Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Talking about Japanese tradition, Sentaro Iwata (1901-1974) was a genius of modern ukiyoe illustration.
He left too many works to be evaluated as an artist properly IMO.

Sentaro_Iwata_Liberal_1948-09.jpg

Source: Liberal (Sept. 1948)

Mr Hieda was my Mother's art teacher; he would visit our house in Grant Heights, Tokyo in 1949 to give her lessons.

View attachment 712219and instructed her in oil painting. My father visited him when he returned for a visit in 1960.
OK, this is Mr. Hieda.
Thanks for the information, Neil :thumbleft:

Oh but he seems to have passed away at 100 in 2021 old:(
hiedaportrait2-730x489.jpg

OK, this is Mr. Hieda.

View attachment 712223
I did not know of his death; thank you for letting me know. Kazuho Hieda was a fine man and a very talented artist. Also a friend of our family.

OK, this is Mr. Hieda.

View attachment 712223

This is a painting that Mr Hieda generously presented to our family as we were leaving Japan.
Kazuho Heida Painting 1950.jpg

Oh, the coming March 23rd is Kazuho Hieda's 2nd anniversary of his death.
Here is his brief history at Wiki -

Kazuho Hieda (August 23, 1920 - March 23, 2021)

Born in Tanabe-cho (now Tanabe City), Nishimuro-gun, Wakayama Pref. His father was designer Koichi Hieda (pen name: Ayaka). From the age of 9, he and his family moved to Osaka and he attended the Abenobashi Western Painting Institute. In 1933, he entered the craft design class of the Osaka Municipal Art School. After graduation, he moved to Tokyo and entered the Japanese painting class of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts. In 1943, he graduated early due to the wartime regime. After that, he studied under Kyujin Yamamoto(1900-1986) one of the renown Japanese painting painters.

In the postwar, as his teacher Kyujin, Shoko Uemura and others formed an association for the creative art as Sozo Bijutsu in 1948, he joined and exhibited to receive the encouragement award at the first exhibition. In 1951, the Sozo Bijutsu and the Shinseisakuha Kyokai merged to form the Shinseisaku Kyokai Nihonga Department and he was recommended as a member. From 1966 to 1968 he was engaged in reproducing the mural paintings of the main hall of Horyuji Temple. In 1970, he became Associate Professor at the department of Japanese painting, Tokyo University of the Arts and, in 1972, became Professor. In 1974, he left the Shinseisaku Kyokai and formed the new association Sogakai. In 1985, he received Wakayama Prefecture Cultural Award and Tanabe City Cultural Award as he became the director of the Art Museum of Tokyo University of the Arts. In 1988, he retired from Tokyo University of the Arts and became the professor emeritus at the same university. In 1991, he received the Japan Art Academy Prize and the Imperial Prize. From 1994 to 2007, he served as a professor at Joshibi University of Art and Design. In 1995, he received the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Third Class. In 2001, he was awarded a Person of Cultural Merit.

He died of old age at a hospital in Tokyo on March 23, 2021 at 100 year old. Granted the Junior Fourth Rank.

Source: 稗田一穂 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Oh, the coming March 23rd is Kazuho Hieda's 2nd anniversary of his death.
Here is his brief history at Wiki -

Kazuho Hieda (August 23, 1920 - March 23, 2021)

Born in Tanabe-cho (now Tanabe City), Nishimuro-gun, Wakayama Pref. His father was designer Koichi Hieda (pen name: Ayaka). From the age of 9, he and his family moved to Osaka and he attended the Abenobashi Western Painting Institute. In 1933, he entered the craft design class of the Osaka Municipal Art School. After graduation, he moved to Tokyo and entered the Japanese painting class of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts. In 1943, he graduated early due to the wartime regime. After that, he studied under Kyujin Yamamoto(1900-1986) one of the renown Japanese painting painters.

In the postwar, as his teacher Kyujin, Shoko Uemura and others formed an association for the creative art as Sozo Bijutsu in 1948, he joined and exhibited to receive the encouragement award at the first exhibition. In 1951, the Sozo Bijutsu and the Shinseisakuha Kyokai merged to form the Shinseisaku Kyokai Nihonga Department and he was recommended as a member. From 1966 to 1968 he was engaged in reproducing the mural paintings of the main hall of Horyuji Temple. In 1970, he became Associate Professor at the department of Japanese painting, Tokyo University of the Arts and, in 1972, became Professor. In 1974, he left the Shinseisaku Kyokai and formed the new association Sogakai. In 1985, he received Wakayama Prefecture Cultural Award and Tanabe City Cultural Award as he became the director of the Art Museum of Tokyo University of the Arts. In 1988, he retired from Tokyo University of the Arts and became the professor emeritus at the same university. In 1991, he received the Japan Art Academy Prize and the Imperial Prize. From 1994 to 2007, he served as a professor at Joshibi University of Art and Design. In 1995, he received the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Third Class. In 2001, he awarded a Person of Cultural Merit.

He died of old age at a hospital in Tokyo on March 23, 2021 at 100 year old. Granted the Junior Fourth Rank.

Source: 稗田一穂 - Wikipedia
As I said before, you are a wealth of information, Shinpachi. Thank you for this research. I knew Mr Heida was a remarkable man but I did not know the extent of his successful career as an artist. I am in your debt. Thank you. I will share this information with my sister.

As I said before, you are a wealth of information, Shinpachi. Thank you for this research. I knew Mr Heida was a remarkable man but I did not know the extent of his successful career as an artist. I am in your debt. Thank you. I will share this information with my sister.
My pleasure, Neil.
I don't know why but your information is always timely.
Please tell my best wishes to your sister too :)

I wonder how difficult it was for people to transition from seijitai to kyūjitai in the old days?

Simplified style did not cause trouble as basic structure was same like 學 to 学 or 樂 to 楽 or 戀 to 恋.

It is easier for the Japanese to read classical Chinese characters in Taiwan than to read such too much simplified characters as found in the mainland China.

Now I'm curious, how easy is it for you to read this? It's seijitai but it might be simpler because it's from a graph and not long literature.

Please don't actually translate it, I'm just curious if it makes sense to you.

1679428928958.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back