Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was a boy I went to Narimasu nearby to buy fireworks. They were very cheap there but the labels were all written in Japanese so we did not know what they were if the shapes were not familiar to us. When I returned home we recognized everything I had in the large bag and enjoyed lighting the fireworks one by one that evening in front of our house. One thing was a mystery, a large round cylindrical object- perhaps a Roman Candle or something similar? To be safe, we set it on its side on the sidewalk, lit the fuse and moved back to see what it would do. The answer was quickly forthcoming- it was a sky rocket and it chased us, tumbling and spinning until it finally burned out.
Another time I went to a small shop in Narimasu and bought a whole handful of incense sticks for only a few Yen. When I returned home, I placed a few sticks in a holder and lit them, enjoying the smokey scent. Our maid, Yaeko Ozawa walked in, sniffed the air and asked what I was burning. I showed her the package of my bargain incense and she started laughing. It was incense made for funerals.:rolleyes:

When I was a boy I went to Narimasu nearby to buy fireworks. They were very cheap there but the labels were all written in Japanese so we did not know what they were if the shapes were not familiar to us. When I returned home we recognized everything I had in the large bag and enjoyed lighting the fireworks one by one that evening in front of our house. One thing was a mystery, a large round cylindrical object- perhaps a Roman Candle or something similar? To be safe, we set it on its side on the sidewalk, lit the fuse and moved back to see what it would do. The answer was quickly forthcoming- it was a sky rocket and it chased us, tumbling and spinning until it finally burned out.
Another time I went to a small shop in Narimasu and bought a whole handful of incense sticks for only a few Yen. When I returned home, I placed a few sticks in a holder and lit them, enjoying the smokey scent. Our maid, Yaeko Ozawa walked in, sniffed the air and asked what I was burning. I showed her the package of my bargain incense and she started laughing. It was incense made for funerals.:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing interesting story, Neil :)

A Japanese novelist Akiyuki Nosaka(1930-2015) wrote in his work "American Seaweed" like "During the war, an American plane dropped several packages for POWs. One of them drifted toward my home. I and my friends as kids opened it with curiousity. It looked like a huge package of seaweeds. My mother boiled to eat but it was not tasty. After the war ended, I understood it was black tea."

Seaweed aka Hijiki
Hijiki seaweed.jpeg

Source: 乾燥ひじきの戻し方とは?おすすめレシピもご紹介 | DELISH KITCHEN

Since he was born in 1912 when Korea was part of the japanese empire, I supose he was a japanese subject. It is known if he was recruited for the armed forces? Koreans were considered full citizens of the empire?

Since he was born in 1912 when Korea was part of the japanese empire, I supose he was a japanese subject. It is known if he was recruited for the armed forces? Koreans were considered full citizens of the empire?
When he was thirteen, he and his family moved to a Korean residence area of Manchuria side to learn communism like his father did and stayed there till 1945.

IJA caps (simplified)
View attachment 713943

IJA head protection
View attachment 713944

IJN hats and caps
View attachment 713945

IJN caps
View attachment 713946

IJN caps (simplified)
View attachment 713947

IJA/IJN head protection (special purposes)
View attachment 713948

Civilian caps during ww2
View attachment 713949
Source: Uniforms and Equipments of IJA/IJN (1973)
I think two of those caps are shown in this picture of men working in Grant Heights, Tokyo in 1948.

0006_160 Workmen 214C Grant Heights.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back