Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I learned about the Bangalore torpedo from DC comics, Our Army At War (?). The issue was about Sargent Rock encountering his identical twin at Omaha Beach in a blasted bunker. He was a Greman!
A Greman, eh? :) actually, I preferred "Two-Fisted Tales". The artwork was really good.
61EwH3FxnnL.jpg

Paris-Tokyo flight in 1937.
In the evening of May 26, 1937, French flyers Marcel Doret and François Micheletti crash-landed on the beach of Kochi Prefecture, 600 kilo-meters to Tokyo. They were rescued by the local people but had wounded for three weeks in the red cross hospital.

Soon after the crash.
Marcel_Doret_and François_Micheletti_1937.jpg

François Micheletti and Marcel Doret with French Ambassodor Charles Arséne Henry and his wife in Tokyo
Marcel_Doret_and François_Micheletti_1937_Tokyo.jpg

Source: Press Rengo Photo News (May 1937)

My father worked for Pan Am and we used to fly to Berlin to visit family then rent a car and drive thru checkpoints to Poland. Remember all the tank traps, mine field signs that were posted. Remember my dad making a mistake and an East German border guard yelling Halt auf, öffne dein verdammtes Fenster and a bunch of them pointing their sub machine guns at us, fun times. We did that 4 or 5 times and it was always interesting

My father worked for Pan Am and we used to fly to Berlin to visit family then rent a car and drive thru checkpoints to Poland. Remember all the tank traps, mine field signs that were posted. Remember my dad making a mistake and an East German border guard yelling Halt auf, öffne dein verdammtes Fenster and a bunch of them pointing their sub machine guns at us, fun times. We did that 4 or 5 times and it was always interesting
Every family has it's version of family fun!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Prince Higashi-kuni Naruhiko (1887-1990) with the aircraft for his mission on May 14, 1937.
Caption says he uses aircraft Envoy or Douglas but does not tell which one this is.

Prince_Higashi-kuni_Naruhiko_1937.jpg

Source: Press Rengo Photo News (May 1937)

Just confirmed that Japan Air Transport Co., Ltd. purchased a Beechcraft D-17E in 1936.
Tachikawa & Tokyo Aircraft Co., Ltd. assembled the model in April, 1937 for the first time.
Licensed 20 in total were assembled by April, 1939.
Thanks.

View attachment 715359
Source: 10 Years of Japan Air Transport Co., Ltd (1938)
It was C17E, not D-17E.
Sorry.

Beechcraft_C-17E.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back