Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Farewell party for Dr. Arnold Heinrich Fanck who has recently completed Japanese-German co-production movie "Die Tochter des Samurai" held at the restaurant Kanetanaka in the evening of February 5, 1937.

This movie is said to have produced in order to change German people's image for Japanese as Asian, synchronizing with the German-Japanese Anti-Comintern Pact signed in 1936.

Arnold_Heinrich_Fanck_in_Tokyo_1937.jpg

Source: Press Rengo Photo News (Feb. 1937)

I am sorry to hear that. Music, the sound of a warbird firing up, thunder storms.
Not a worry and my thanks for your concern. Hearing is not a total loss to me for warbirds firing up and lifting off I feel and hear and with the aid of hearing aids (cochlear (left) and hearing aid (right)) the chirping of some birds comes through but not in the natural sound as you would hear and as a consequence, music I can hear in a limited capacity but it lacks the melody and is in fractured tones, so not the joy it used to be. :D

Last edited:
Screenshot_2023-07-04-09-59-11-64_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

Ki-49 take part in the annual military parade on 29 April to mark the Emperor's birthday. This photograph was probably taken in 1943. The one in the foreground belongs to the Hamamatsu school, the one at top right is an aircraft from the Radio Operator's School and the Ki‑49 in the middle was assigned to the Army Air Academy.

Great people who have been forgotten in the history.

"In Yokohama on February 13, 1937, Ms. Genevieve Caulfield (46) who stayed in Japan as an English teacher since 1926 leaves for her home country with her adopted daughter Haruko Tobita Caulfield (25) and mother Francis (70) to introduce Japanese culture in the US."

Genevieve, Haruko and Francis.
The_Caulfields_Yokohama_1937.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot_2023-07-06-13-55-28-39_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

This Ki-49 Model 2 Otsu was assigned to the obscure 105th Kyoiku Hiko Rentai (105th Training Flight Regiment), which had been organised on 30 September 1941 at Hamamatsu. In August 1942, one of its chutai was transferred to the newly formed 116th Kyoiku Hiko Rentai. On 31 March 1944, the unit changed its name to the 5th Kyoiku Hikotai (Training Flight Unit).

The clean lines of the Donryu are very evident in these pics.

On February 18, 1937, Archbishop of Philadelphia Dennis Dougherty known as the "Prince of the Church" who attended the Eucharistic Congress held in Manila on behalf of the Pope met with His Majesty the Emperor at the imperial palace in the morning and visited Yasukuni Shrine and Meiji Shrine before he and his members left for the US from Yokohama port aboard Tatsuta-maru at 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

Archbishop Dougherty with his members at the Meiji Shrine (center).
Archbishop_Dougherty_at_Meiji_Shrine_1937-02.jpg

On February 18, 1937, Archbishop of Philadelphia Dennis Dougherty known as the "Prince of the Church" who attended the Eucharistic Congress held in Manila on behalf of the Pope met with His Majesty the Emperor at the imperial palace in the morning and visited Yasukuni Shrine and Meiji Shrine before he and his members left for the US from Yokohama port aboard Tatsuta-maru at 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

Archbishop Dougherty with his members at the Meiji Shrine (center).
View attachment 728793
I would like to know what was thinking the guy with the white robes of the visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back