Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry for no English subtitles and a little bit longer but, as a historical record, please let me post this rare picture I recently found.
Full footage of the Greater East Asia Conference held on November 5, 1943 in Tokyo.
What to be remarked is - This conference is the origin of later ASEAN and what some delegates speak in English also interests me.
Thanks.

As you would see, Japanese were not necessarily aware of Canadians, and Russians, as enemy regardless they joined the war or not

Masakatsu Hamamoto (1905-1996)

He was the first Asian graduate of Harvard University as a Japanese immigrant in the US.
Until the war broke out, he served as a manager for Ford Motor Co in Manchuria.
During the war, he was asked many important roles by the army like official interpreter for Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, special adviser for Philippine President Jose Laurel and chief of the POW camp for the allied officers in Manila.

Hamamoto (left) with Yamashita(center) in Manila, 1945

After the war was over, he was sued as war criminal but liberated soon because his senior officer General Tomoyuki Yamashita testified that Hamamoto was originally a civilian merchant though he had a rank of army major. General MacArthur was interested in him later but it was too late to find him again. He could be a man who knew a lot about Japanese leadership during the war but spent the rest of his life as an ordinary businessman for Osawa Co (camera dealer) and Seiko Co (watch maker).

Therefore, there are few official records left on him but can be found a few which wrote about him in the internet like this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread