Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Hugh.

Kazuo Sakamaki (1918-1999)

The 1st Japanese POW during the Pacific War who was captured in Hawaii as a midget sub captain in December 1941. A POW was regarded almost same as a deserter at the time when everyone was prepared to die for the country. Even after the war was over, his life was not easy with disrespect in the society. He worked hard as a business man silently and later became the president of Toyota Brazil.

180px-Kazuo_Sakamaki.jpg
CxZfeLXUkAAJZ31.jpg
POW_No_1.jpg
Kazuo_Sakamaki_1967.jpg
1956年11月21日.jpg

Being a captive meant a disgraceful death accompanied by the torture and dismemberment since the Sino-Japanese War in 1894. Therefore, the IJA/IJN military code finally summarized it as "disgrace" by January 1941.

Hiryu 1942 POW 3.jpg

Japanese battleship Yamato during sea trials, 1941...

Battleship-Yamato.jpg

....and at the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, 24 October 1944. This hit did not cause serious damage...

DURJIO0XkAE4n_r.jpg

....near her end, April 7th, 1945

Japanese-Battleship-Yamato-Makes-Its-Final-Stand-5.jpg

"The Yamato's skipper, Ariga, rather than permit hallowed portraits of the Emperor and Empress to suffer the indignities of capture, arranged for an officer to secure himself in a room with the artwork. Ariga then ordered a seaman to bind him to a binnacle on the bridge. There he chewed biscuits, awaiting his inevitable fate.
In the bowels of the battleship, fire cooked off ammunition magazines, inducing shattering convulsions of the infrastructure. The subterranean blasts erupted through the steel decks into a 6,000-foot tongue of fire stretching into the sky. A four-mile pillar of smoke trailed the Yamato. At 2:23 in the afternoon, the great ship rolled over and sank, dragging down with it some 2,500 sailors. Only 269 survived."

Japanese-Battleship-Yamato-Makes-Its-Final-Stand-6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing fantastic pics and story, Geo.
Yamato is a legend for Japanese.

In 1992, a civilian scientific group organized by Yamato lovers attempted building a new Yamato based on the electromagnetic force. Experimental model worked but its speed was too slow to be expected practical use. As they gave up, this has been a legend of Yamato too. I still miss it.

New_Yamato_01.JPG
New_Yamato_02.JPG
New_Yamato_03.JPG

Interesting stuff Shinpachi. I often wondered about overlaps between the Yakuza and Imperial Japanese forces. I haven't seen any real studies so perhaps there wasn't any such overlap...although I'd be surprised if organized crime didn't leverage the expansion into China and other regions to expand influence and grow business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back