Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eizo Hori (1913-1995)

He served as an intelligence officer of Imperial GHQ.
Known as the author of "How to fight American troops" - a manual for the garrison of isolated islands like Peleliu, Iwo-jima and Okinawa.
He failed to hand it to the garrison in Saipan.
Joined JSDF in the postwar.

Eizo_Hori.jpeg

e150344061.1.jpg
e150344061.2.jpg
e150344061.3.jpg
sim2.jpg

Last edited:
Richard Motomune Sakakida (November 1920 – January 1996)

He was a terrible guy for the Japanese during the war.
As an able Japanese-American interpreter born in Hawaii, he was treated with respects in the Japanese headquarters in Manila but suddenly disappeared in the end of 1944 prior to the U.S. invasion in the early next year. According to Eizo Hori's testimony as a former Japanese intelligence officer, Hori tried to speak inaccurate information like the scheduled date '3' as '5' when there was Sakakida as he knew Japanese were hated by the local Philipinos and sympathizers. Sakakida is still regarded as a traitor by Japanese even after 73 years as he did not allow his pictures without sunglasses and that talked everything.

On the contrary, Sakakida seems to be regarded as a hero in the U.S.
Looks very interesting historical irony to me.

Richard Sakakida.jpg

A book titled "A Spy in Their Midst: The World War II Struggle of a Japanese-American Hero" introduces him like this.

"During World War II, while thousands of Japanese-Americans were being sent to U.S. detainment camps, a Japanese-American from Hawaii working as a U.S. Army spy in the Philippines was captured by the enemy. Richard Sakakida was the only Japanese-American prisoner of the Japanese forces, and he faced death as a "traitor" because of his Japanese face.
Despite unspeakable torture, Sakakida stubbornly refused to confess that he was an American spy; ironically, his Japanese cultural heritage is what enabled him to survive the beatings inflicted on him by his Japanese captors. Sakakida narrowly escaped a death sentence and was assigned to the office of a Japanese official, where he gained valuable military information for MacArthur and engineered a daring prison break that freed a Filipino guerrilla leader and hundreds of his followers. Fifty years later, Sakakida finally tells his tale of survival and perseverance against incredible odds"

content.jpg

A Spy in Their Midst

Although the movie, based on the Pierre Boule book- "The Bridge On The River Kwai" was a Hollywood produced version of the actual events in the Burma jungle area 1943-- The fact that Japan was NOT a signatory to the Geneva Convention was well depicted when Col. Saito yells at Lt. Col Nickerson: "Code, what Code? A coward's code clearly shows the Japanese Officer Corps feeling about surrender, or being taken a POW-"Better to die a soldier, than live like a coolie"__

There was a great deal of prejudice in America against the Japanese, even before Dec 7th 1941-- and during the War years, both in the PTO and on the home front. Internment camps in the West Coast areas- to the best of my knowledge, the only German and Italians interred in the USA were POW's, not German-American or Italian-American citizens of America.

All wars allow examples of man's inhumanity to his fellow man to develop within otherwise decent human beings.

I will stick to posting one pic per day now as that seems to be the most agreeable idea. And i must admit the PTO is not my strong point. Many of us tend to forget just how important it was and there are a lot of military aircraft often overlooked. But enough of me waffling on. Here's my first Pacific based pic. Kawanishi N1K1 kyofu ( allied code : rex )
88fd167e553c8556f9d36a3d08f2494c.jpg

P-61A-1-NO Black Widow s/n 42-5524 of the 6th Night Fighter Squadron. Being readied for a mission, East Field, Saipan, Mariana Islands, September 1944. The SCR-720 radar's parabolic dish antenna can be clearly seen through the partially transparent radome.
800px-6th_Fighter_Squadron_-_P-61_Black_Widow_-_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back